• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oddly there is a picture framers at the end of my road. I have never worked out how it makes any money. There is also a cobblers/key cutters on my road. Again I'm puzzled how it makes any money.

I guess these sort of shops are just fronts for money laundering.
    probably the same way as the Guildford cobblers did, you could order something for the rave night (o get R-soled) in a little baggy as well as getting shoes re-soled.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oddly there is a picture framers at the end of my road. I have never worked out how it makes any money. There is also a cobblers/key cutters on my road. Again I'm puzzled how it makes any money.

Not neccesarily - most of the picture framers round our neck of the woods do it to keep busy and get out of the house. The money is rather secondary.

Heck I may retire aged 60 to do something exactly like that. Radio on, people coming in to chat with occasional pictures to frame.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's one in a prime site in the city centre - well, it's a gallery too. They used to have a café on the top floor where I often went for my lunch in the late 1980s, or hung out on Saturday afternoons (it was a rather scruffy place with a vaguely beatnik feel that hadn't been decorated since the 1960s), but they closed that around 1990 and expanded the gallery. Still there to this day, and apparently doing well.

The other one I'm aware of is on a mixed residential/light-industrial terraced street (I have my car tyres done at a place across the road from it) in an odd little no-man's-land between the poshest residential areas of the city and one of the poorer parts. That one is purely a "picture framing workshop", according to its signage. It's also been there since at least the 1980s, expanded its workshops into the adjacent building about twenty years ago, and shows every sign of being a thriving business.

Mind you, I vaguely remember a friend having something framed there maybe fifteen or so years ago, and when they told me how much it cost them I was stunned. So maybe it's just that proper hand-made picture frames are eye-wateringly expensive

Comment

Need to go to the post box.

If it's like my trip earlier I will get there and feel faint on the way back.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Things I've learnt today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3103
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Brewming hell.....
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Need to go to the post box.

If it's like my trip earlier I will get there and feel faint on the way back.
                Promise yourself a nice cup of tea when you make it back

Comment

You mean to say that you don't reference ISO3103 compliance on your CV's?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    You mean to say that you don't reference ISO3103 compliance on your CV's?
                    Even my butler has it on his
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I love the Controversy entry. I thought it would be a load of rants and arguments about tea.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X