• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bloke who interviewed Amis (and was also editor of the student arts mag in which it appeared) is now Managing Editor of News and Current Affairs for BBC News

Comment

Is there mention of Jim borrowing a Rover P4 (75 or 90) with a freewheel device that gives him problems changing gear?

That's definitely in the book I'm thinking of, which undoubtedly isn't Lucky Jim.

Written as it was in 1954.

Them were the days.

Comment

Gosh.

That's an impressive cleaner.

Having run it over some of the rooms I "did" this morning, it's brought the carpets up really well.

I now have half a carpet in the cylinder though.

I've also figured out what the random bit of red plastic is for, it keeps the lower cable holder in place.

Only 8 more bits to go.

Comment

Sorted out some of the stuff behind the bed settee type thing in the living room. There were a number of large books there that I don't remember getting, and must have picked up in a sale or maybe at a book clearance shop. They include the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (5th ed., 1999) and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (16th ed., 2001).

It's quite lucky that I haven't bought them again at some point in however long it's been; they're the sort of thing one vaguely thinks of getting for years without ever getting around to actually buying them. But clearly, some time in the last twelve years or so, I did

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Gosh.

That's an impressive cleaner.

Having run it over some of the rooms I "did" this morning, it's brought the carpets up really well.

I now have half a carpet in the cylinder though.

I've also figured out what the random bit of red plastic is for, it keeps the lower cable holder in place.

Only 8 more bits to go.
            Is it a Vax again, or did you go for something from ICL this time?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Made a small fry-up for lunch. Sat down. Reached for cutlery. Phone rang.

It was my mum, pulling her trick of phoning just as I sit down to eat. She managed this despite it being about three hours earlier than she usually phones on Sunday, providing further evidence that there's some kind of crystal-ball/remote-viewing thing going on
              OMWSAGQ

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) - Trivia - IMDb

not a bad film.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yesterday removed a door & replaced with studwork. Hard work trying to avoid the gas pipe. Vetran mansions is still standing.

Today swimming with Miss V3. Great fun as always. The others went shopping.

Lunch al fresco outside sainsburys Hawaiin Pizza for 2. (well for 1 but we shared).

Today Plasterboarding the en suite.

Bottle of Hardys with Mrs V and NCIS. Comfortably numb!

No bike ride
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is it a Vax again, or did you go for something from ICL this time?
                  It's a complicated Vax.

Much more complicated than the Swift.

But it does seem to do a fine job of picking up crap.

Tomorrow, after the dentist, I must sort the house insurance out.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I enjoyed it.

However it is remarkably different from the book.

Comment

It's quite lucky that I haven't bought them again at some point in however long it's been; they're the sort of thing one vaguely thinks of getting for years without ever getting around to actually buying them. But clearly, some time in the last twelve years or so, I did
                      Indeed.

I have a remarkable number of things I've bought twice.

The one that springs to mind is

A Circus of Hells by Poul Anderson — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

which I bought for the 2nd time & read all the way through with not one iota of deja vu all over again, only to find it in the bookshelf when I went to file the new one.

Comment

Working...
                      X