• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gas man cometh, and the gas man goeth, having determined that everything's OK, except the gas cooker is definitely reaching the end of its natural life. I'm not surprised, as it must be from the 1970s, or even earlier.

The landlord, citing the fact that my rent hasn't increased in twelve years and he's not planning to put it up this year either, asked if I'd be willing to sort out a new cooker myself - well, it doesn't have to be new; just a replacement will do. Given that my rent would increase by approximately 50% if he started charging me what equivalent flats around here are currently letting for, I accepted this suggestion. This also means that, as the cooker isn't actually condemned, I can arrange it all for a time and date that suits me and ClientCo

I'm not getting a brand new one though, given I'll be expected to leave it here.

*checks prices on Argos website*

Actually, I may just go ahead and get a new one; you can get reasonable ones for a couple of hundred quid by the look of things. Otherwise I'll have to walk to one of the many secondhand appliance shops up the road, and probably end up losing a day's billing doing that and having it delivered and fitted. I wouldn't save that much on a secondhand one in good nick anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The gas man cometh, and the gas man goeth, having determined that everything's OK, except the gas cooker is definitely reaching the end of its natural life. I'm not surprised, as it must be from the 1970s, or even earlier.

The landlord, citing the fact that my rent hasn't increased in twelve years and he's not planning to put it up this year either, asked if I'd be willing to sort out a new cooker myself - well, it doesn't have to be new; just a replacement will do. Given that my rent would increase by approximately 50% if he started charging me what equivalent flats around here are currently letting for, I accepted this suggestion. This also means that, as the cooker isn't actually condemned, I can arrange it all for a time and date that suits me and ClientCo

I'm not getting a brand new one though, given I'll be expected to leave it here.

Actually, I may just go ahead and get a new one; you can get reasonable ones for a couple of hundred quid by the look of things. Otherwise I'll have to walk to one of the many secondhand appliance shops up the road, and probably end up losing a day's billing doing that and having it delivered and fitted. I wouldn't save that much on a secondhand one in good nick anyway.
      tbh, I'd probably do that too via the IPSE advantages scheme, save a bit of cash on it...
      Join IPSE

Comment

Technically gas cookers need to be fitted by a gas man. Try ao.com or currys as they will have people who can install on the weekend. No need to rush though as you said
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

www.ao.com

Don't buy the cheapest if you use the cooker. Buy the one that has the controls in the place that you want them? I paid a gas fitter £30 to fit and test mine (you need a Gas Safe certificate) and that was in Surrey.

Edit: Oops. My brain read hob. Same applies to cookers too!
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Yes, another reason to buy new is that John Lewis or whoever will definitely have a qualified gas fitter to do the job, whereas if I get one from Dodgy Appliances down the road it's likely to be his cousin or some bloke he met in the pub that does it

It also occurs to me that all I need to leave behind if I move out is a cooker of equivalent worth to the one that was here when I moved in twelve years ago. So there's nothing to stop me getting a quality new one, using it for the duration, then replacing it with a secondhand one from down the road and taking it with me as and when I leave

Comment

Anyway, better get going to ClientCo. Seems silly to travel 70 miles, do a few hours, then travel 70 miles back; but such is the lot of the contractor who wants to invoice as much as possible

Comment

Yes, another reason to buy new is that John Lewis or whoever will definitely have a qualified gas fitter to do the job, whereas if I get one from Dodgy Appliances down the road it's likely to be his cousin or some bloke he met in the pub that does it

It also occurs to me that all I need to leave behind if I move out is a cooker of equivalent worth to the one that was here when I moved in twelve years ago. So there's nothing to stop me getting a quality new one, using it for the duration, then replacing it with a secondhand one from down the road and taking it with me as and when I leave
                Since the original isn't condemned, can you store it somewhere till it's time to move on?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  Since the original isn't condemned, can you store it somewhere till it's time to move on?
                  The landlord isn't stupid - I think he'd see through that

Worth thinking about though…

Comment

RIght, bedtime here. Bloody good evening too - along with having locals buying us Yamazakee (I know I have misspelled that) Whiskey and Sake because of our funny accents.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Little update on the raw sea urchin.
                      Turns out I don't like it, but I am now a tad lighter than I was earlier today.

Evening meal was excellent, involving sushi but mostly sukiyaki made with Matsusaka beef. Nom and indeed Nom Nom.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X