• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Nah, it's very downmarket - the kind of place where they're mildly surprised when the question "How do you want it?" isn't answered with a number between 1 and 3

As is "comb & scissors, please".

Always goes down well.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

As is "comb & scissors, please".

Always goes down well.
      I've finally worked out that the woman who chatters constantly but does a reasonable job is always there on her own on Thursday, meaning there's no risk of ending up with the woman who makes a right mess of anything non-numerical. I'd rather be done by the woman who does a good job and doesn't talk much at all, but she never seems to be there except when the rubbish one is too, and it's just too risky

Comment

I've been going to the same barber for the last half a century (well nearly, 48 years in fact), so I've seen barbers come, go & pop their clogs.

The most memorable one was Ivor who, in a fit of madness, started doing short back & sides on some poor sod.

Wasn't the fashion 35 years ago that it is now.

It took a lot of work by Harold the owner to mollify the customer.

Poor old Ivor's son topped himself & his flag got burgled during the funeral.

Which was a bit of a shock to me when he started relating the story during my session.

Harold took over pretty sharpish.

He & Ivor are now gone, but not forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          I've been going to the same barber for the last half a century (well nearly, 48 years in fact), so I've seen barbers come, go & pop their clogs.

The most memorable one was Ivor who, in a fit of madness, started doing short back & sides on some poor sod.

Wasn't the fashion 35 years ago that it is now.

It took a lot of work by Harold the owner to mollify the customer.

Poor old Ivor's son topped himself & his flag got burgled during the funeral.

Which was a bit of a shock to me when he started relating the story during my session.

Harold took over pretty sharpish.

He & Ivor are now gone, but not forgotten.
          I got all kinds of information I didn't want about her coeliac disease today

TBH, I actually found that preferable to the time she described her collection of Doctor Who memorabilia (nominally her young son's, but clearly not really) in exceptional detail

Comment

Zeity, any comment...
            https://mobile.twitter.com/theunexpl...64322830651392
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Looking over the local rag's website, there was a story about residents' parking permits, which made me remember that I had an email about renewing mine over a month ago, which I promptly forgot all about

All sorted now; they've even streamlined the online process marginally. The last couple of years you had to fill in all your details on the website, then a few days later they emailed you to say you'd been approved (even though you already had one and must therefore already have been approved), giving you a couple of reference numbers (why two, I don't know). Then you had to go back to the website and log in with those numbers, then they'd finally issue the damn thing. Now they include the numbers in the reminder email, so you can sort it out in one go.

But then you want to renew the smartcard that lets you get cheap visitor permits from the machines on the street, and also get your five free visitor permits, and each of those has to be done separately, and each involves the whole palaver of being given two numbers again. To add to the fun, the numbers are different for each one

I know corporate and public sector IT are renowned for being obtuse at the best of times, but did people really sit down and specify this system, then sit back looking it over and nodding approval of their own efforts with the sense of a job well done?

Comment

For the gig I need to see 4 people. 1 on holiday. 1 too busy to see me. So I saw 2 - lets see if I get to meet the other 2.

Comment

Chilli Con Carne for dinner

Comment

Looking over the local rag's website, there was a story about residents' parking permits, which made me remember that I had an email about renewing mine over a month ago, which I promptly forgot all about

All sorted now; they've even streamlined the online process marginally. The last couple of years you had to fill in all your details on the website, then a few days later they emailed you to say you'd been approved (even though you already had one and must therefore already have been approved), giving you a couple of reference numbers (why two, I don't know). Then you had to go back to the website and log in with those numbers, then they'd finally issue the damn thing. Now they include the numbers in the reminder email, so you can sort it out in one go.

But then you want to renew the smartcard that lets you get cheap visitor permits from the machines on the street, and also get your five free visitor permits, and each of those has to be done separately, and each involves the whole palaver of being given two numbers again. To add to the fun, the numbers are different for each one

I know corporate and public sector IT are renowned for being obtuse at the best of times, but did people really sit down and specify this system, then sit back looking it over and nodding approval of their own efforts with the sense of a job well done?
                    This is the process, it has to be followed.

I'm about the suffer that on this project although thankfully the awkward process bits are some time away by which point I hopefully will have underlings to substitute in.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got to buy paper permits online.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X