• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

*Will Self on what used to be Letter from America back in the day.
    I'm not averse to the use of obscure words myself, but Will Self takes it so far as to make the most recondite vocabulary seem like a Janet & John book

Comment

Blue sky and Simpsonesque white stuff in the sky.

Cool but pleasantly so. A touch of frost first thing.

First ride out with the Cycling club for 12 months. 85km. Knackered now....

Supposed to be doing a 110km ride next weekend. May have to rethink.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Ah, scrub that - it looks like it's next Sunday. This week, they've gone a-visiting instead

Yes, that was rather poorly phrased
        IIRC, the last couple of times I "wanted" to go to Halfords they didn't have the things I "wanted" anyway, so it was a bit of a waste of time.

A couple of years or three ago, a chap walked in & asked if they had any contact breakers and condensers for sale.

The oik didn't know wtf he was talking about, much to Zeity's amusement.

I think I told the chap that there was a place in Swansea that dealt in such exotica.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I'm not averse to the use of obscure words myself, but Will Self takes it so far as to make the most recondite vocabulary seem like a Janet & John book
          Indeed.

I'm always tickled by the way he pronounces "now".

Comment

The roast beef was quite nice but not my best effort.

The prunes & custard suffered from too much milk in the custard, so it was a bit too runny.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Blue sky and Simpsonesque white stuff in the sky.

Cool but pleasantly so. A touch of frost first thing.

First ride out with the Cycling club for 12 months. 85km. Knackered now....

Supposed to be doing a 110km ride next weekend. May have to rethink.
              Also went out with the cycling club. They had one of their "everyone welcome" shorter, leisurely paced rides - 42km with a nice cake stop in the middle.

Lovely day for it, just a tad windy.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                IIRC, the last couple of times I "wanted" to go to Halfords they didn't have the things I "wanted" anyway, so it was a bit of a waste of time.
                I check on the website first They've got two shops here, so even if one is out of stock, the other usually isn't

Comment

That's my peregrinations for the afternoon done.

I went up to Maplin first to get a multimeter, this being one of those things I've been meaning to get for years but never have, so I can get some idea of what state the battery's in.

Then I went to Halfords… which, despite supposedly having the required terminal adapters in stock, had naught but an empty thingy with a label denoting where they ought to be

The chap I asked didn't seem very knowledgable about terminals, but was able to give me a fairly detailed explanation of their stock control procedures, which boiled down to them probably being in stock Real Soon Now, and maybe even sooner if I ordered them online for collection from the store.

So I drove over to the other Halfords, with a minor detour where they've changed the layout of the inner ring road and the lane I was in decided to go in a direction I didn't wish to go. They didn't even have the empty thingy where the not-in-stock thing was supposed to be hanging

So I've come home, ordered it online for collection from the nearer place (which, supposedly, will have it available for me within the hour, despite having no stock on the shelves) and will have to go and get it tomorrow or Tuesday, as according to the chap I spoke to there's a delivery tomorrow.

In the meantime, let's see if there's anything of the same ilk on Amazon…

Comment

Phone call from Halfords - he's just checked the shelf and it's not in stock

They're ordering it; in the meantime, I've found a contender on Amazon. Only a couple of quid, with a few snotty reviews (almost all reviews are good, though) so, on the basis that having a spare set is never a bad thing, I've ordered those too, and we'll see which gets here first

Comment

OK, the multimeter tells me the battery is chucking out between 12.6 and 12.7 volts, which is about the right amount; though of course much also depends on how well it's going to hold a charge once it's actually used in anger. But that's a start

Comment

Working...
                      X