• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Afternoon
    Greetings

There's a thing about Noma in Monday Links this week

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      There is that, I suppose

Googling the subject comes up with loads of stuff about American screw fittings. Apparently people screw the bulbs in too tightly for years, which squashes the contact within, leading to it making intermittent contact with the bulb. I wonder if there's something similar going on with the pins in my decent, British bayonet fitting.
      What sort of bulb was in it?

I had a halogen lamp in the one that fell out, in a fitting with very little ventilation.

A bathroom fitting is probably similar.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

I had a halogen lamp in the one that fell out, in a fitting with very little ventilation.

I had one of those spotlight fittings with 4 lights in it in the office here. It kept blowing bulbs in a really quite spectacular way, firing the them across the room with a loud pop.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

There was some newfangled long-lasting one in there. Now there's one more like a traditional one, but clear rather than cloudy. Neither have been halogen AFAIK.

The fitting is a standard bayonet type attached directly to the ceiling, which is about ten feet up, and the bathroom has no window so it's not particularly well ventilated. Though it's not that badly ventilated either - condensation from showering tends to dissipate in a few minutes with the door open, and it isn't noticeably damp.

Comment

Nearly bumped into someone in the ladies'. Took me a moment to realise that she wasn't calling me a dozy doe.

Reminded me of coming home from nursery school in tears because a boy had pointed his gun at me and called me a sticky mop...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Reminded me of coming home from nursery school in tears because a boy had pointed his gun at me and called me a sticky mop...
              My parents used to call them alternative child friendly names until I was mature enough as well. Actually they still do... Odd...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Nearly bumped into someone in the ladies'. Took me a moment to realise that she wasn't calling me a dozy doe.

This is why blokes don't go for a piss in pairs
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Bugger.

The ZeitBigClock(tm) has a number of errors on the schematic that I've only found once I'd got to the pcb stage.

Pox.

Comment

There was some newfangled long-lasting one in there. Now there's one more like a traditional one, but clear rather than cloudy. Neither have been halogen AFAIK.

The fitting is a standard bayonet type attached directly to the ceiling, which is about ten feet up, and the bathroom has no window so it's not particularly well ventilated. Though it's not that badly ventilated either - condensation from showering tends to dissipate in a few minutes with the door open, and it isn't noticeably damp.
                    the bayonet one has two spring loaded pistons as contacts. They have been known to jam in their barrel I have a couple that had to be replaced in Vetran Mansions. Just bought a new fitting and swapped.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Guide to Different Types of Light Bulbs - Homebase

The one that fell out of the socket was the "Classic" bulb shape with a halogen thingie inside it.

It had been in there about a fortnight.

It's been replaced with a new bayonet socket (the old one had seen much better days) and a new lampshade that gives much more ventilation & cooling.

The new bulb is one of those curly CFL things.

We shall see how long it lasts.

The unfused Tesco(tm) and Maplin "Heavy Duty" bulbs used to detonate out of this fitting in a 1000 pieces when they blew.

Comment

Working...
                      X