• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not been talking to Zeity then...

10 ways the UK's eating habits have changed - BBC News

The fall of liver

People used to really like eating liver. In 1974 a typical household bought 36g of it per week.

But not by 2014. Then the figure had fallen to just 3g - a 92% drop. Offal - familiar to a wartime generation that eschewed waste - had fallen out of favour among younger, more squeamish Britons.

"People don't know what to do with offal any more," says Annie Gray, resident food historian on BBC Radio 4's The Kitchen Cabinet. The resurgence of so-called "nose-to-tail" cooking in certain high-end restaurants appears not to have had much influence in the mass market, she adds.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Bugger me its lunch time!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        hmm, seems I may need to learn R programming...
        Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        I C no need for that, tell them to F off.
        Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Oh dear.....
        A bijou jokette.

C - a high level assembler.

F - some abortion that descends from the ALMIGHTY FORTRAN.

R - no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          And I was thinking that having them with onion gravy would make a change from chips and beans
          I could buy some chips on the way home.

From Opel's.

Except Opel's doesn't exist anymore since Yolanda seems to have sold out to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Daft thing is that he'd gone to the doc a week ago with very swollen glands under his armpits - visible - they look like golf balls, and he's had them about 6 weeks. Not painful. Doc then wasn't interested in the headaches, but was very concerned about the glands, ran bloods, and told him to come back in a week (yesterday). Bloods were clear, but the doc yesterday (a different GP - our local surgery is a mess at the moment!) wasn't interested in the glands and was concerned about the headaches. Having googled the glands (the way you do), I'd really like them to be making sure they know what the problem is!
            And so he's in dry dock tomorrow for a biopsy. Six months. Gotta love the NHS.

Comment

R: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language)

S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_(programming_language)

F: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_(programming_language)

C: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)

Who'd have thunk it?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                And so he's in dry dock tomorrow for a biopsy. Six months. Gotta love the NHS.

Comment

Just been trying to figure out my predeceased predecessor's schematic symbol & pcb footprint for a 7 segment display.

Simple enough, one might feel.

It's taken half an hour and 4 pieces of paper & some scrawling with a biro to figure it all out.

CadStar(tm) isn't altogether obvious at times.

Schematic Symbol (seemingly random pin numbers that don't correspond to the part).

Footprint (seemingly even more random pin numbers that even more don't correspond to the part).

Magick File "Parts.Lib" that takes the Schematic Symbol random numbers and the Footprint random numbers and connects them together to make the fecker actually work.

Aside from the missing 1st decimal point pin and the alternative Common Anode pin of course.

It's easy, this cad stuff, honest.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    I don't think "people used to really like eating liver" - there was meat rationing until mid-1954, so people ate whatever they could get. I suspect most people didn't like it much.

I know that my parents both grew from childhood to adulthood with meat rationing. We occasionally had liver when my siblings and I were children in the Sixties because our family was quite poor by modern standards, but it disappeared from the home menu in the Seventies when the family's standard of living improved, as did so many people's then.

My parents don't eat liver any more. I'm pretty sure they don't like it. And if a chef from one of those high-end restaurants was to see the way they used to cook it, she would conclude not so much that "people don't know what to do with offal any more" as that they never really knew what to do with it

Zeity excepted, of course

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                      Just been trying to figure out my predeceased predecessor's schematic symbol & pcb footprint for a 7 segment display.

Simple enough, one might feel.

It's taken half an hour and 4 pieces of paper & some scrawling with a biro to figure it all out.

CadStar(tm) isn't altogether obvious at times.

Schematic Symbol (seemingly random pin numbers that don't correspond to the part).

Footprint (seemingly even more random pin numbers that even more don't correspond to the part).

Magick File "Parts.Lib" that takes the Schematic Symbol random numbers and the Footprint random numbers and connects them together to make the fecker actually work.

Aside from the missing 1st decimal point pin and the alternative Common Anode pin of course.

It's easy, this cad stuff, honest.
                      "Does it work?"

"Nearly - we're having trouble getting some of the pins in there."

"That's good enough, ship it. We'll add those pins in the next version."

Comment

Working...
                      X