• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The person who brought her in is leaving.
    Chance for "promotion" then
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The person who brought her in is leaving.
      And I'm the only contractor at my level. I suspect that the work I've been doing will be kicked quietly into touch.

My sponsor isn't the most popular person on the Programme...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

We got the Chef Analytics outgoing mail queue sorted out, whereupon it sent me nearly 12,000 emails all at once

This filled my mailbox until I deleted 37,000 emails sent by another automated system over the last few months

Once the dust had settled, it transpired that, as I'd configured the test emails with my ClientCorp address for both sender and receiver, Exchange had sent me hundreds of emails telling me it couldn't deliver hundreds of emails from me to me because the mailbox was full

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          We got the Chef Analytics outgoing mail queue sorted out, whereupon it sent me nearly 12,000 emails all at once
          I used to do things like that. Except I would send 120,000 emails to people I wanted to annoy!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I used to do things like that. Except I would send 120,000 emails to people I wanted to annoy!
            Now it's just 76912 posts
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I cocked up some escalation code, and sent test emails to the CEO at clientCo.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I cocked up some escalation code, and sent test emails to the CEO at clientCo.
                When I was at Marconi, the head of HR was on the mailing list that got notified when someone got made redundant.

They put in a change request because "Denise doesn't like getting these notifications" when they laid off 1000 people a week for a few weeks.

(Answer - take her off the flipping mailing list then!)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I was at a small ClientCo a while back where this chap asked me to modify a monitoring script for various of their client websites that sent SMS notifications. He wanted it to resend them every five minutes - I think some people had been a bit lax about responding to callouts, and he wanted to give them a kick in the arse, as the notifications wouldn't stop until whatever was causing the sites to be down was fixed.

He then went to the Lake District for a few days, staying in a cottage where he couldn't get a signal. Also, he was on the list of those receiving the notifications.

Early that Sunday, a server went belly-up at about three in the morning. The on-call chap responded promptly, but it was a bit worse than just rebooting stuff or whatever, and it took several hours before the multiple sites could be brought back up; and during that time, the monitoring system was sending an SMS for each of the sites that was down, every five minutes.

The first the bloke who'd got me to make the change knew about any of this was when he and his wife came down from the cottage to the nearest town for lunch the next day, when suddenly his phone went berserk receiving an absolute torrent of queued SMS messages. Apparently it took nearly an hour for them all to come through, and of course he had to delete them all as well

As soon as he got back off holiday, he got me to change the script back to the way it used to be

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Now it's just 76912 posts
                    tpd is getting really b1tchy these days! First suity - now me.

Clearly I need to up the drivel rate...

Comment

A french chap didn't know what number to put into the field for the number to be called if there was a problem so he filled it with 9s. This was a test system. Plod wasn't impressed

Comment

Working...
                      X