• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Not strictly true, now is it? Since it was a finance deal the finance company will be the owners of the car.
    The V5 shows the registered keeper, which is not the same thing at all.
    Only if he signed the paperwork, which is the point at which it all went wrong and which didnt happen.

Otherwise he has paid them a cash sum for the vehicle and the V5 has been transferred to his name.

Any decent solicitor would have a field day with that if needed.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Only if he signed the paperwork, which is the point at which it all went wrong and which didnt happen.

Otherwise he has paid them a cash sum for the vehicle and the V5 has been transferred to his name.

No finance paperwork was signed as I didn't have the correct proof of address information (it was their attitude about that that caused me to pull out)... I'm really just trying to work out how to play it....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The V5 has sweet FA to do with vehicle ownership. The ownership is transferred as is ownership of any other goods, and is proved in the same way - a receipt for full payment. The owner will currently be either the garage, or possibly the finance company if the garage have already transferred ownership to them.

People are still labouring under the misapprehension that contracts must be signed in order to be enforced, eh?
        Any decent solicitor would have a field day with the argument "I though £500 was all I had to pay to take ownership of this £20K car".

Comment

The V5 has sweet FA to do with vehicle ownership. The ownership is transferred as is ownership of any other goods, and is proved in the same way - a receipt for full payment. The owner will currently be either the garage, or possibly the finance company if the garage have already transferred ownership to them.

People are still labouring under the misapprehension that contracts must be signed in order to be enforced, eh?
          Any decent solicitor would have a field day with the argument "I though £500 was all I had to pay to take ownership of this £20K car".
          Well, then I guess my assumption was wrong.

I almost got eek killed

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Well, then I guess my assumption was wrong.

I almost got eek killed
            It's not to say that he doesn't have a fairly strong position, but that may be psychologically over the Sales Manager only.
            At the moment, eek will be the registered owner and it is in the garage's interest to make that transfer stick, as otherwise if the car is returned it will now have additional owners on the documents. Plus, it's always better and more cost effective to complete a sale in progress than to make a new sale.

If you want the car eek, I'd definitely be pushing for a discount "for all of the hassle they've caused you", but no - you don't own a shiny new car for the price of the deposit.

Comment

I didn't say that £500 is enough for me to take ownership of the car... I'm just trying to work out how to deal with it...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well here we iz again, in with the hoi polloi.

Comment

If your real issue is with the sales people, and you still want the car, I'd be pushing to get the car at a reduced price - at the cost of the salesperson's commission. I'd be explicitly making clear to the manager / owner of the garage "That guy pissed me off. I'll buy the car if he doesn't get paid for the sale, and you reduce by that amount, otherwise you can shove it and have back what is now a used car to sell".

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    What makes me think you are a permie?!!

Comment

Is it time to go home yet?
                      In a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X