• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Do they still exist?
    They were bought by Tayto a few years ago, but still exist in their own right apparently.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    We know you come from Leicester but Walkers Seabrooks or Tayto are crisps...
    They're both OK, but I've liked Walkers since before I even came to Leicester, in the days when you couldn't find them outside the East Midlands except in a few places, one of which happened to be the shop where my parents got the Sunday papers on the way home from Mass

KP were OK too. Dunno if they're still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      You mean hipster crisps?
      That kind of thing, yes.

All this talk of crisps has got me craving them now. Luckily I've got some Walkers chicken crisps in the cupboard

Walkers is actually a Leicester firm of pork butchers, noted for their pork pies. The crisps business was just a sideline they started in the days of meat rationing, so there was something to put in the shops. It was only around the late 1970s or early 1980s that they gave it a big push and took it national, resulting in a huge payout when it was bought out by PepsiCo a few years later.

They used to have a number of shops around the county, but now they're back to just the one they started in over a hundred years ago, in the City Centre, and even that isn't a proper butchers anymore - just pork pies and hot takeaway food for the breakfast and lunchtime trade, with a few token sausages. Shame, as their sausages and bacon were so good, I actually went into town on a weekly basis just to get them. Now I hardly go into town at all.

Comment

I use to prefer Smiths crisps over Walkers...
        Join IPSE

Comment

I just had a nice sirloin

Comment

Chinese here.

Comment

Baked potato with spicy beans & chipolatas. And cheese, lots of cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                I use to prefer Smiths crisps over Walkers...
                Yes, another good crisp. They were bought by PepsiCo and a lot of their range (e.g. Quavers) put under the Walkers brand, though apparently Smiths Crisps are still available.

Comment

Should probably be getting to sleep before long, but I'm somewhat hampered by the fact that my dinner won't be ready for at least another half hour, and probably longer

Just a stew, but I put it on way later than I would have wished. Had to get petrol on the way home, and that plus a minimal bit of shopping somehow seemed to add nearly an hour to the journey

Comment

Train tickets booked for this thursday. Interview is at 5.30 near Moorgate so I've added a couple of hours at the end and I've managed to get myself a super off peak return.

Comment

Bedtime

Comment

Working...
                      X