• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's chucking it down outside.

Despite this, I have ventured forth for various odd bits of shopping. I ended up heading for the opposite side of the city at around the same time as chucking-out at the rugby ground, so progress was rather slow.

I was waiting in a queue for a couple of minutes next to the place where I first worked after leaving uni, doing the Teletext stuff in Forth. It's all shabby and derelict now. The offices wherein the directors used to lurk have lost the glass from their large windows. I wonder if the plaque is still up in Reception commemorating the time Princess Margaret visited, for reasons that were never clear to me.

The Royal Visit was a number of years before my time, but there was a persistent legend that the reason the walls of the engineering departments (h/w first floor, s/w second) were painted a particularly vibrant shade of yellow was because it was her favourite colour

The company relocated to Nottingham in the late Eighties. I looked it up recently. It moved into things like equipment for CCTV control rooms for town centres, and some kind of defence-related work that doesn't seem to be clearly described anywhere. It finally went bust in the 2000s.

It was thirty years ago this month I started there. Sic transit gloria mundi, and all that.

Comment

Odd, innit?

I discovered last week that the place I worked in Rugby had been closed down by the bunch that acquired it in 2008.

I think that was the one contract I actually enjoyed.

Which proves the ZeitCloseDownEffect is still in place.

And on which happy note, I'm off for a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Odd, innit?

I discovered last week that the place I worked in Rugby had been closed down by the bunch that acquired it in 2008.

I think that was the one contract I actually enjoyed.

Which proves the ZeitCloseDownEffect is still in place.

And on which happy note, I'm off for a dump.
        I'm pretty sure something like 70 to 80% of places I've ever worked have either shut down or been taken over and subsumed into some entity that, itself, then shut down

Comment

Washing done, and dinner on.

A button came off one of my shirts in the wash

Luckily it was the top one, so it's not as if it was ever going to be buttoned up anyway

Comment

Handy: Biking Concept Can Fill a Water Bottle From Thin Air Every Hour - Popular Mechanics

Comment

Sky at Night doing comet programme.

Watch now whilst stocks last.

Comment

On architecture: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Comment

Worthy of note: Philae runs Forth

Here comes Philae! Powered by an RTX2010 | The CPU Shack Museum

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning denizens

It's still dark out there

Comment

Working...
                      X