• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the other 20 bottles washed.

There's still the barrel to sanitise.

We've no food in, so we're off hunting and gathering at the local supermarket.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      That's the other 20 bottles washed.

There's still the barrel to sanitise.

We've no food in, so we're off hunting and gathering at the local supermarket.

Bring back some cake
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Dia Dhuit Nora

Conas a ta tu?
        Go maith agus tusa?
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          The missus has just arrived with a bountiful harvest from the chip shop
          Yumski. That is all.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            isn't 250,000 is the next biggie?
            No harm in making him wait another 50K though is there.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Oops - ok then Afternoon Doggie
              That's better, thanks

Comment

Newcastle lost today

That means it's tighter than a gnat's chuff at the top of the table.

Comment

So you are in a good mood then VF?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    So you are in a good mood then VF?
                    A belly full of chicken kebab and chips, a glass of Leffe Brune, and West Brom top of the table. It doesn't get much better than that

Unless my luck's in tonight with the missus

Comment

Švejk Is Acending To Guide The New Generation

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      ah. yes. that would have been me. i'm delighted that you are delighted that i put them there.
                      I am delighted you are delighted that I am dellighted. Evlybodi hahppi now! :-)

though i am somewhat nervous of the copyright issues related to it.
                      Well, the version you quoted is copyrighted. I suppose this could be construed as fair use of excerpts.

were you googling schweik / svejk or were you actually reading tpd?
                      I signed up for this forum because Google (just like The Shadow) "knows!" and sent me an alert about a fresh appearance of "Svejk" on the Internet. Then I started following where that came from and saw the whole string from a few years ago.

the joseph lada translation uses "beg to report" which works quite well. in fact i think i prefer the lada translation over the more modern one but lada (or his publishers) edited out the more extreme elements of the book (such as the swearing and attacks on religion). decisions decisions...
                      Josef Lada was the Czech illustrator, not translator. (His illustrations have become inseparable from the text, but skewed it in my - and others' - opinion. The latest translation separates the text from the illustrations which Jaroslav Hašek never saw or approved.) There have been only two previous English translations. The first one, by Paul Selver, was abridged. Some people think it was better then the subsequent, Cecil Parrott's translation, which was the first unabridged one. That must be the "more modern one" you have in mind.

are you releasing a new version in english?
                      It's been available in three volumes as an e-book for a couple of years. Book One has been out in paperback since the summer of 2000. The remaining Book Two and Book(s) Three&Four are out as paperbacks since May 13 of this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X