• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I still haven't caught up.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      i see your history of forks fitzy and in respone give you this:

http://www.therubberband.info/history.php

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        so had plenty of time to get used to it. but tbh i still struggle to find my way around it.
        Since Windows 95, whose UI was co-opted to be the UI for Windows NT 5 (aka Win2K), the denizens of Microsoft had been hoping for ages to be able to Make Great Strides in improving the UI for future versions.

Then they were faced with the fact that their OS was hideously insecure - not at the edges, but in and of itself. As a result, they had to switch most of their developers to fixing security issues in Windows XP, which was pretty much achieved with SP2 - far from being a mere "Service Pack", it patched vast areas of the fundamentals of the OS.

With that job done, they were able to get back to the OS that became Vista.

That is the point at which they ran up against an insuperable obstacle. It was best expressed by Steve Jobs many years ago (and really pissed Bill Gates off at the time): "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste... I have no problem with their success... they have earned their success... I am saddened by the fact that they just make really third-rate products."

All Vista did was put lipstick on a pig. I know there are all kinds of new affordances and suchlike. The problem is that they are affordances for capabilities that were ill-thought-out in the first place.

I have to use Windows at ClientOrg. Using my MacBook is like returning from... well, I'm not sure what the analogy would be.

Imagine going from a world where things were always a bit clumsy to utilise, where stuff did what you needed (if you put a bit of additional effort in) but never did quite what you wanted straight away, where you constantly felt that you were being forced to do things in a certain way even though doing it a different way made more sense... and then finding yourself in a world where things just did what you expected.

A world where tin openers open tins without taking you through a tin-opening-wizard; a world where kettles are switched on by switching them on without the need to upgrade the socket in your kitchen, because it's been automatically upgraded for you; a world where things just work - or, as in The Real World, just don't.

The real reason that Windows sucks and OS X wins isn't that OS X is more reliable, or more secure, or prettier.

It's that Windows is always about the computer (drive letters being an obvious example).

The Mac is about you.
        Last edited by NickFitz; 24 May 2009, 03:45. Reason: Oops, forgot the YouTube link :-(

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          I'm actually sat beside myself in the TPD Time Machine.
          Who said that?

Comment

scrummy

I noticed that at the time - well, a bit later

I decided not to say anything. For all I know Mrs BI might have seen my comment and castigated you for besmirching the reputation of her biscuits

Comment

(Am I alone in thinking those burger-bar "Employee of the Month" baseball caps are an invitation for everyone else to wee in your tea?)
              A pissed-up punter to punch you in the gob shouting "Customer Service that!"

Comment

Two possibilities:
                1. The marijuana farm upstairs is using hydroponics;
                2. Your new bifocals prevent you from seeing overhead moths.
                1. The pot plantation was downstairs, and has long since vanished in one of those Police vans that has 'Scientific Support" written on the side;
                2. I don't have bifocals (or varifocals), as I seldom need to look at things close up and far away at the same time, and if I'm looking at something close up I usually look right at it, rather than cast my eyes down at it. I think bi/varifocals might be useful if one spends a lot of time counting one's change, but that's the only common situation I've found where one might want close vision as one casts one's eyes downwards whilst still having distant vision when one looks up. Then again, I live a very sheltered life

Comment

May I suggest investing in a pram, or a push chair?

Social Services will not approve of this activity, however traditional.
                  Wonder what they'll make of the one The FaQQer cited recently

Comment

Morning all...

Sunny.

Very.

Comment

And I still haven't caught up.

Perhaps that's a metaphor for life.

'Life' is the combined perceived activities of everyone else experienced by one's self. One feels a perpetual feeling of 'life passing by' as one only has time to experience life when idle. When active, one does not have the time to notice everyone else being busy and so there is no knowledge of 'catching up'. We either slip back in the stream, or make others feel they are slipping back.

In reality there is no catching up that can be done. The stream passes us all by and the faster we paddle, the faster the stream is made to flow.

Perhaps we are facing the wrong way?
                      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X