• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector contracting

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    They aren't expecting you to 'get around it', they are expecting you to cough up.
    Wcs but they forgot many of us can apply our skills elsewhere
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh yes, I used to regularly lace my contracts with a little NHS work, which is why I get calls offering me contracts.

Not in the future though...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        They aren't expecting you to 'get around it', they are expecting you to cough up.
        But the point seems to be that they won't even ask the question if the contract is not greater than 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          The rules apply to contracts >6 months. Leave after 6 months. No problem.
          What happens if you string subsequent 6-month PS contracts together? Is that OK?

In many cases, is it even obvious if you are working for PS? Since the government use private companies to do lots of PS stuff, then if one of those companies hire you what's the situation?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In the last gig (NHS) I got no info about any of these new rules as it were. One permie who sat near me took on a contractor and I asked him about it. He said was only told about that the contract could be no longer than 6 months, but nothing about the 220 rate.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              What happens if you string subsequent 6-month PS contracts together? Is that OK?
              This is also a question I have been asking. I think not though. I suspect you'll need a gap between the contracts. I'm just trying to find out how long that gap would need to be.

Comment

I don't mind being told to put myself in IR35 or leave. But there is a strong implication that it may be put yourself in IR35 or leave amd we'll pass your details onto HMRC.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

That's a threat of investigation, which is a tulipy trick to play but you can defend.

If you stayed they could compare your NHS contract with others which is worse because they'll ignore the facts that keep you IBOYOA.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    I don't mind being told to put myself in IR35 or leave. But there is a strong implication that it may be put yourself in IR35 or leave amd we'll pass your details onto HMRC.
                    So don't give them the option. If that is the perceived threat find somewhere else and walk away. And if they ask why say that that perceived threat (even if its slight) was enough for you to start contract hunting.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My contracts are always with the Agent, who are not public sector, the end client could be anyone (NHS, DOD etc), but I don't have a contract with them. sorted!

Comment

Working...
                      X