• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
    The agency just said this when I asked

The home office like all other agencies will probably give people six months to get their finances in order. They have not told us exactly what they are doing yet.

Wtf. What does getting your finances in order mean. What proof of what would they need.
    The rules apply to contracts >6 months. Leave after 6 months. No problem.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Not sure what to make of this one.

IR35 assurance demand 'won't be made on all contractors' :: Contractor UK
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Public sector contracting

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Saw this, could be great news.

The fear factor we have now must be great for the insurance companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
          Saw this, could be great news.
          The article indicates that ClientCo need not actually follow through on checking every contractor, but needs to be able to check all of them.

Don't see how that helps much - you have to assume up front that you will be in the random sample - and be appropriately prepared. So unless you are intending to blag it in some way, it does really matter whether they follow through on checks or not

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            Makes no difference at all. You will still have to have a contract containing clauses designed to put you inside IR35.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              The article indicates that ClientCo need not actually follow through on checking every contractor, but needs to be able to check all of them.

Don't see how that helps much - you have to assume up front that you will be in the random sample - and be appropriately prepared. So unless you are intending to blag it in some way, it does really matter whether they follow through on checks or not
              From my experience the hiring manager doesn't know anything about the guidelines anyway. The HR Department are dealing with all renewals and they are issuing the same statement to everyone. It's doesn't take them long to cut and paste the guidance. I.e everyone is being asked to provide evidence of their deemed payments or payslips showing tax and NI deductions.

I'm more interested in in finding out if the 6 months is contiguous or for an individual contract. I left as I'd already completed 6 months and until I know I'd like to be more certain of how much of my invoice value I'm getting to keep.

Don't forget you are dealing with people who need 3 levels of approval just to go to the toilet. You think they are going to allow us "rich" contractors to get away with out paying tax. I'm sure most of them are in PCS and loving they've got us. Well they would be - except they nolonger have any staff.
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                I'm more interested in in finding out if the 6 months is contiguous or for an individual contract. I left as I'd already completed 6 months and until I know I'd like to be more certain of how much of my invoice value I'm getting to keep.
                I'm in pretty much the same boat. Need to know how long there needs to be between public sector contracts for the same organisation - a week, a month, a year? Or will all public sector contracts now be 5 months to get round the 6 month rule? If so, is an extension counted as a separate contract?

I guess we won't find out until these new guidelines have been in use for several months.

Comment

Un-Civil servants

Honestly, where is sir Humphrey when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                    From my experience the hiring manager doesn't know anything about the guidelines anyway. The HR Department are dealing with all renewals and they are issuing the same statement to everyone. It's doesn't take them long to cut and paste the guidance. I.e everyone is being asked to provide evidence of their deemed payments or payslips showing tax and NI deductions.

Don't forget you are dealing with people who need 3 levels of approval just to go to the toilet. You think they are going to allow us "rich" contractors to get away with out paying tax. I'm sure most of them are in PCS and loving they've got us. Well they would be - except they nolonger have any staff.
                    Having once been a civil servant this is indeed "bang on the money". They have no idea what it is like having a "proper job" and are just sitting it out until they collect their gold plated pensions.
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by swampysarmy View Post
                      I'm in pretty much the same boat. Need to know how long there needs to be between public sector contracts for the same organisation - a week, a month, a year? Or will all public sector contracts now be 5 months to get round the 6 month rule? If so, is an extension counted as a separate contract?

I guess we won't find out until these new guidelines have been in use for several months.
                      They aren't expecting you to 'get around it', they are expecting you to cough up.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X