• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    It's one of the sub agencies / Quangos of BIS.
    Ah ok

So will the bigger depts like home office, mod be sing taking their time and also be demanding this in the near future.

Would I be a mug for taking a govt contract now

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post

Personally I've decided to become a gigolo and enjoy getting screwed. Plus as a cash based business I'm definitely outside IR35.
      Not if you're working in the public sector for >£220 pd and > 6 months, you're not.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
        Ah ok

So will the bigger depts like home office, mod be sing taking their time and also be demanding this in the near future.

Would I be a mug for taking a govt contract now
        Take a contract for 6 months and then move on if they try anything funny.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          Take a contract for 6 months and then move on if they try anything funny.
          The agency just said this when I asked

The home office like all other agencies will probably give people six months to get their finances in order. They have not told us exactly what they are doing yet.

Wtf. What does getting your finances in order mean. What proof of what would they need.

Comment

They have no idea, they will probably issue vague guidelines and avoid committing to anything if they can avoid it.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Morning All,

I too currently work in the public sector. No news as yet on any of this from my department though no doubt it will rear its ugly head soon.

However, does anyone know if you'll be able to take a 5 month contract to avoid the enforced taxed at source issue, then a second 5 month contract to continue? ie does there legally have to be a certain gap between 2 contracts at the same place or not?

Maybe, instead of a 12 month contract at department A, you could do two 5 month contracts at dept A that are seperated by a week or so. As such, instead of a contract extension, you just need a new contract. Would this work in theory? It would get round the issue of 'contract length of greater than 6 months'

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
                The agency just said this when I asked

The home office like all other agencies will probably give people six months to get their finances in order. They have not told us exactly what they are doing yet.

Wtf. What does getting your finances in order mean. What proof of what would they need.
                The gov agency I was working at were basically saying they wanted to see payslips showing evidence you were paying tax and NI, or the deemed payment you make to HRMC. Which is a bit daft - as you do that at year end before 19th April IIRC. So you could take a contract now and say - yeah of course I'll show you when I do it. Take the money and do a runner. Hmmmn. This will be fun seeing how it gets policed. If you don't send them the paperwork are they going to grass you to HMRC? I guess they might.

To be honest - I'm staying away form public sector for a while until rates compensate the forced IR35 situation and it becomes clearer what the working practices across different departments are.
                Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  They have no idea, they will probably issue vague guidelines and avoid committing to anything if they can avoid it.
                  I don't think this is the case, the HR department had been given specific requirements of what they needed as evidence, and also said if you wanted to be outside IR35 you would need to be referred to HMRC to take the business entity tests. Thats what made everyone walk! Because it puts you on their radar for the work that had been done there previously! Theres nothing like finding out 15 months down the line your going to get knobbled for an extra 20ish% NI.

This isn't vague at all - its the HR bobs following an well laid out procedure designed to get all contractors paying PAYE and NI!

I tell you - this is going to spread. I wasn't sure at first but now I've seen it first hand, well, I'm quite shocked at how organised they are.
                  Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

My contract renewal just came through via Capita and there is a new schedule included that basically says that if the end client ( A Central Govt Department) requests it Capita will ask for proof of IR35 status, and if the Client are not satisfied with the proof given they will terminate the contract. On top of that any information provided maybe passed to HMRC by the client.

There are a large number of contractors here and we have been told that any request will come at the end of the financial year. Since there is no way I'm giving them anything that could end up with HMRC it looks like I will be back on the bench come April.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      My contract renewal just came through via Capita and there is a new schedule included that basically says that if the end client ( A Central Govt Department) requests it Capita will ask for proof of IR35 status, and if the Client are not satisfied with the proof given they will terminate the contract. On top of that any information provided maybe passed to HMRC by the client.

There are a large number of contractors here and we have been told that any request will come at the end of the financial year. Since there is no way I'm giving them anything that could end up with HMRC it looks like I will be back on the bench come April.
                      That's the issue. Just making you quit is one thing but giving your details to hmrc is another.

Comment

Working...
                      X