• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Reforms to be Abolished!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    IR35 has NOT been repealed/cancelled/abolished. where is this coming from?
    some changes have been rolled back.
    NOT the same thing.
    There are a lot of people using some very woolly language.

The two recent changes have been rolled back. The original legislation still stands.

Comment

Exactly. The legislation is still there. It the changed to public sector and private sector where the liability was passed onto the end client has been reversed.

Spoke to my accountant earlier and they were very optimistic. I guess market will start picking up now with more and more roles available.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post
        Yea, can't say I am not happy that they cancelled ir35 but woah what a waste of time that non sense was.

I just think of the many victims of IR35 that had their lives ruined.

One IT Trainer I know, had to pay back £100k and his wife left him, he lost his house, rarely sees his children and he had to live above a shop in a flat. I heard he took his own life a year later. These government imbeciles should lose their jobs!
        The fact he joined a tax avoidance scheme had little to do with IR35 and more to do with him being lazy / greedy...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post

I just think of the many victims of IR35 that had their lives ruined.
          I don't know of any IR35 'victims'. I do know of HMRC Enquiries recipients who were users of EBT/Dodgy Schemes and Umbrellas though.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by JHamp82 View Post
            Spoke to my accountant earlier and they were very optimistic. I guess market will start picking up now with more and more roles available.
            I hope so - as long as HMRC doesn't win those MSC cases.

Comment

Originally posted by JHamp82 View Post

Market is driven by clients demand. The taxation of their contractors has not changed their demand. If anything your market is going to get harder because all the perms and permatractors will be going for your outside gig. Not so attractive for the perms to switch in the current situation and the permatractors took inside gigs leaving the rest to us. The last few words is probably me being bitter and twisted rather than a fact though

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Market is driven by clients demand. The taxation of their contractors has not changed their demand. If anything your market is going to get harder because all the perms and permatractors will be going for your outside gig. Not so attractive for the perms to switch in the current situation and the permatractors took inside gigs leaving the rest to us. The last few words is probably me being bitter and twisted rather than a fact though

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I don't know of any IR35 'victims'. I do know of HMRC Enquiries recipients who were users of EBT/Dodgy Schemes and Umbrellas though.
                  If your granny was scammed by a fraudster she would be a victim. There's a spectrum and some contractors are sufficiently naïve/reckless to qualify as such imo.

The unwitting spouses and children of contractors who knowingly avoided tax are certainly victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

If your granny was scammed by a fraudster she would be a victim. There's a spectrum and some contractors are sufficiently naïve/reckless to qualify as such imo.

The unwitting spouses and children of contractors who knowingly avoided tax are certainly victims.

I get what you're saying but I'm struggling to understand how determining IR35 status creates victims.

If HMRC think you got it wrong, then you should have documented evidence in the form of contract reviews backed up by insurances. Anyone who thought they could wing it isn't really a victim. Ignorance of the law is not a defence and it's a duty of company directors to ensure their business operates within the law.
                    Last edited by ladymuck; 29 September 2022, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

So are the unwitting spouses and children of murderers - because that is what your argument comes down to.

And yes I do know the unwitting spouse and children of a murderer - they went from a lovely house next to my parents to a rental flat in a nearby town (owned actually by another neighbour because everyone liked them and they were utterly innocent)
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X