• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Reforms to be Abolished!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    IR35 Reforms to be Abolished!

    Our Chancellor just announced that the IR35 Reforms from 2021 and 2017 are to be scrapped! Does this mean what I think it means?

    What do you think this means? Do you think major corporations will return to the Ltd structures of the past? This is great news!

    #2
    Does this mean we will once again be on the hook for own our IR35 status determination rather than the clients?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
      Does this mean we will once again be on the hook for own our IR35 status determination rather than the clients?
      Yes it appears so

      Comment


        #4
        Mini-Budget: IR35 will be repealed from April - FTAdviser.com

        "Speaking to the House of Commons today (September 23), Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng said from April, workers across the UK providing their services via an intermediary, such as a personal service company, will once again be responsible for determining their employment status and paying the appropriate amount of tax and NICs."

        Comment


          #5
          You'll go from your client doing the determination and you paying if they get it wrong as there's an entry in your contract that if anything is wrong you are the one responsible, to you yourself doing the determination and paying if you get it wrong

          Comment


            #6
            I really didn't expect that. Going back to self-determination is a good start.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by dsc View Post
              You'll go from your client doing the determination and you paying if they get it wrong as there's an entry in your contract that if anything is wrong you are the one responsible, to you yourself doing the determination and paying if you get it wrong
              This assumes you didn't fall foul of a blanket ban.

              Even then the fee payer sticks in a claw back clause and you pay anyway.

              It was $£$% legislation and needed to go.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I really didn't expect that. Going back to self-determination is a good start.
                Let's explain how things will go post April

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_144.png
Views:	1640
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	4233885
                Last edited by eek; 23 September 2022, 10:53.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

                Comment


                  #9
                  So govenrment wants the employees to be tax experts.
                  And determining the status before even start working there, when some of the IR35 tests are about how the work is being carried out.
                  Madness. How would anyone accept working as Ltd co in this situation...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by michaelC View Post
                    So govenrment wants the employees to be tax experts.
                    And determining the status before even start working there, when some of the IR35 tests are about how the work is being carried out.
                    Madness. How would anyone accept working as Ltd co in this situation...
                    See my flow chart above - just take the money and have appropriate insurance to handle hmrc if they start asking questions
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X