• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conservative Conference IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conservative Conference IR35

I'm running a full day of events at the Conservative conference in Brum this year around technology, employment etc.
    Although I'm known by some as writing for The Register, I'm also vice Chairman of the party's science & tech think tank and spend a good chunk of my career as an IT freelancer as well as hiring a bunch.
    I am looking at the feasibility of something on IR35 reform and so am looking for evidence of the harm it is causing and suggestions on making it better.
    We expect to get some actual decision makers in on this.

I am hoping to have a sensible discussion here on a topic that we all care about, if you want to engage in whining about Brexit, Boris, or vaccination policy free to connect to me on Facebook where I argue that stuff, but if the signal to noise ratio here drops below a decent level I shall just walk away.

What I'm looking for is things that work, I'm largely indifferent to what. Also there is a sense that forcing government departments to use Accenture et al does not represent good value for money and Tories being Tories always take that sort of thing seriously, as long as it is presented in a form they can grasp.

Disclaimer:
    Nothing I say is the position of any organisation and does not even represent the consensus of the people in my kitchen let alone anyone else.

My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Afternoon Dominic, good to see you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you're not already, you should also speak to Andy Chamberlain at IPSE. They will have plenty on the impacts (reform is another story).

I note that David Frost has been pretty vocal in calling out IR35, so you may be pushing on an open door there.

As with most things, it comes down to what you mean by "work" because there has always been a bunch of conflicting interests, notably the Exchequer vs. everyone else (well, apart from the IR35 industry).

Comment

Ok, so what exactly is the question? Happy to have a chat but the post is a bit vague as to what you're after which is not what I'd expect from a journalist TBH

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Ok, so what exactly is the question? Happy to have a chat but the post is a bit vague as to what you're after which is not what I'd expect from a journalist TBH
          I think he's looking for questions initially, answers will come later....

Anyway I'm with jamesbrown, you have to start with Andy C to get a proper briefing. That said, reform of IR35 is highly unlikely, HMT have persuaded successive governments that (a) it is highly beneficial policy and (b) it works. We all know that is bollocks, but until that is changed it's going nowhere.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
            I am looking at the feasibility of something on IR35 reform and so am looking for evidence of the harm it is causing and suggestions on making it better.
            Feasibility - not a chance the Exchequer has £60bn reasons (Employer NI) why nothing can be done...

Likewise no client that has a blanket ban on PSCs are going to change things because they won't accept the risk - so too little too late...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tories being Tories always take that sort of thing seriously, as long as it is presented in a form they can grasp.
              You mean like a brown envelope or an expenses entry?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Me me me. I'll come down and do it.
                I am hoping to have a sensible discussion here
                Oh OK. I think I'd better pass

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You mean like a brown envelope or an expenses entry?
                  Sigh.
                  And when IR35 evolves into something worse it won't be your fault, no not at all, because you got to make a dig a tory, well done dear, I hope you enjoyed it.

My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Sigh.
                    And when IR35 evolves into something worse it won't be your fault, no not at all, because you got to make a dig a tory, well done dear, I hope you enjoyed it.
                    So how does it do that?

As I said there are £60bn reasons why IR35 exists and few of them have anything to do with IT contractors we are collateral damage in attempts to keep employer NI tax revenue coming in....

And until someone can demonstrator how to keep that money coming in nothing is going to change.

Remember HMG decided that it wouldn't introduce the desperately needed employment act and kicked it into a 3rd (or is it 5th) review....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X