• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop nit picking!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop nit picking!

Just saw this in the CUK newsletter.

Eek, is this the same webinar you went to?

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...ar_errors.html

'Unaccpetable, shocking'

Nit-picking the nit-picking article.

Comment

Yes, that's the one we attended.

It was something to behold...

Comment

I did have a good chuckle over that news item this morning.

Bless 'em. Perhaps if The HMRC had spent more time nit picking their own laws they wouldn't have embarrassingly taken so many contractors to court, and lost.

In good time the majority of clients will come around to offering Outside contracts I think, and then we can have a good laugh all over again.

Comment

my favourite is

At 39:30:‘The client therefore pays the agency £1,400, which includes the £1,000 weekly rate, plus the £200 VAT and the £200 fees.’

Wrong. This one is a shocker coming from HMRC. In the example that they give, the agency’s fees would be subject to 20% VAT as well, so the client would pay the agency £1,440.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nitpicker!

Comment

It's obvious now that anyone making a mistake in their dealings with HMRC can just use the same approach. Accidentally expense a new conservatory to your company and HMRC fine you? Simple, just blame Covid and tell them to stop nitpicking!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                It's obvious now that anyone making a mistake in their dealings with HMRC can just use the same approach. Accidentally expense a new conservatory to your company and HMRC fine you? Simple, just blame Covid and tell them to stop nitpicking!
                I slipped and accidentally posted the journal, your honour

Comment

In a lot of ways David Kirk is wrong because he starts from the viewpoint that his opinion is 100% correct - and that just isn't the case.

For instance he states that the employer NI should be coming from the £200 margin (the one where he said the VAT is wrong) without understanding that it was

1) a simplified example to emphasised
                  a) that the agency's margin isn't subject to the deemed payments
                  b) what happens to the VAT when deemed payments are taken (the £200 in vat goes to the PSC alongside the £550 (left after tax)

and

2) the £1000 was the invoice amount paid to the umbrella that included the Employer NI...

and I really can't be bothered to waste any more time on it given that the first two things people have mentioned in this thread are his misunderstanding of what the purpose of the examples were.

The LITRG report on Employment Intermediaries is way more interesting https://www.litrg.org.uk/sites/defau...eport-2021.pdf
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                  X