• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dave Chaplin on R4 Money Box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Chaplin on R4 Money Box

Will be fully available soon, started about 12 mins in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tcl7

Some vox pops from affected contractors. Cheeky umbrellas making a deduction for holiday pay and refusing to hand it over and being forced to use a single umbrella company by the client.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Will be fully available soon, started about 12 mins in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tcl7

Some vox pops from affected contractors. Cheeky umbrellas making a deduction for holiday pay and refusing to hand it over and being forced to use a single umbrella company by the client.
    Nothing there surprises me

But has Dave done anything to try and solve those sort of issues - no he hasn't.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I agree. He's made a lot of noise but not achieved much.

Comment

He, and OffPayroll are making more noise about it on LinkedIn today. It's not a great look for the FCSA, but you have to wonder how much will stick.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Nothing there surprises me

But has Dave done anything to try and solve those sort of issues - no he hasn't.
          I don't think we need to be too hard on him.

If the Lords themselves can't get heard, and they are sitting in the very same camp, what chance any other Tom, Dick or Mutton?

Comment

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post
            He, and OffPayroll are making more noise about it on LinkedIn today. It's not a great look for the FCSA, but you have to wonder how much will stick.
            I had to take him off my list. Not making an opinion on him but as a casual observer I got sick of him waving his flag and not telling me anything so off he went.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I had to take him off my list. Not making an opinion on him but as a casual observer I got sick of him waving his flag and not telling me anything so off he went.
              I don't follow him on LI any more after he tried to tell me that the IR35 changes were a new tax. He picks old bits of legislation that's targeted at the self-employed and shares them to claim there's further infringement being implemented by stealth. His fact checking and quality control are rather poor.

He's drawn lots of attention to the issues, which is good, but sometimes it makes me cringe and I wish he'd shut up

Comment

I don't follow him on LI any more after he tried to tell me that the IR35 changes were a new tax. He picks old bits of legislation that's targeted at the self-employed and shares them to claim there's further infringement being implemented by stealth. His fact checking and quality control are rather poor.

He's drawn lots of attention to the issues, which is good, but sometimes it makes me cringe and I wish he'd shut up
                On the plus side, the off-payroll rules have been very good for him and IR35 shield over the last 2-3 years. Both his company accounts are looking very healthy indeed.

I say fair play to him though, he's filled a gap that IPSE were unwilling or unable to, even if the end result has been the same.

Comment

I agree. He's made a lot of noise but not achieved much.
                  much like another organisation that I can think of!

Comment

Working...
                  X