• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the public sector? An FAQ about IR35

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Only if you are engaged through a LTD which is not the way to go as has been mentioned a number of times. Having the LTD in a chain where it is not needed is going to give rises to these WTF scenarios. Don't use the LTD and use the better options available and that problem has gone.
    I think we need some clarification here. Unless I'm mistaken, the "contract", which is designed to protect the client from employment benefit claims, will be between the client/agency and the Ltd. co. of the contractor. So what will the "contractual" circumstances be if the engagement is ruled as inside? I guess the client/agency would want to maintain that lack of contractual nexus with the individual contractor. Will remuneration be paid directly to the contractor rather than the contractor's Ltd. Co.? What has happened in the PS? You say you've taken an inside engagement in the Public Sector, so perhaps you can clarify how you get paid.

Comment

The choice was umbrella or agent PAYE. No LTD option on the table. I went brolly and the contractual terms are between agent and brolly. I signed an employment contract with the brolly
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The choice was umbrella or agent PAYE. No LTD option on the table. I went brolly and the contractual terms are between agent and brolly. I signed an employment contract with the brolly
        so I deduce then that the payments were made to your private bank account and not to you company and that you are effectively an employee of the brolly. So were the holiday, sick pay and pensions contributions attractive? Remember that organisations who have more than 50? employees must now provide for pension payments. Do you receive a payslip?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          so I deduce then that the payments were made to your private bank account and not to you company and that you are effectively an employee of the brolly. So were the holiday, sick pay and pensions contributions attractive? Remember that organisations who have more than 50? employees must now provide for pension payments. Do you receive a payslip?
          Correct on all counts. Pension was very good actually although I wasn't there long enough to use it. I was with Contractor Umbrella and their scheme was uncapped so could have put the entire allowed amount in. That would have made the whole gig very tax efficient. I am aware that is pretty unique though. I think they are the only one we've found so far that do that. Others are pretty basic.
          Yes to payslips. Why would you think I wouldn't?

Actually, the odd thing is it was great, probably down to me fretting about my finances but I felt much better off getting the full amount in my bank every week. No fretting about the warchest, having to do my accounts, sending divis to my mum and girlfriends, no having to go in to their banks to transfer the divis back to me and all sorts. Quite enjoyed it to be fair.
          I know in the long run it isn't efficient but it was a nice change.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 19 July 2019, 09:50.

Comment

Correct on all counts. Pension was very good actually although I wasn't there long enough to use it. I was with Contractor Umbrella and their scheme was uncapped so could have put the entire allowed amount in. That would have made the whole gig very tax efficient. I am aware that is pretty unique though. I think they are the only one we've found so far that do that. Others are pretty basic.

Actually, the odd thing is it was great, probably down to me fretting about my finances but I felt much better off getting the full amount in my bank every week. No fretting about the warchest, having to do my accounts, sending divis to my mum and girlfriends, no having to go in to their banks to transfer the divis back to me and all sorts. Quite enjoyed it to be fair.
            Ermmm… You do realise that is tax evasion...?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

OK, so your particular contract situation was acceptable to you. However, that may not suit everyone. I would welcome being paid a nett amount without the IR35 and Ltd. co. hassle, if that nett amount were to reflect what nett salary and benefits I would have been getting by now if I'd been able to remain in my last permie job.

However, I've never been offered such a structure and that would be extremely unlikely. My gross contractor income is only roughly the same as I would estimate my salary would have been by now. I was effectively DPM in my last permie job. We don't all enjoy these high daily rates that are bandied about here. So the effective cost to the client is less (and much less than my current client pays for such a role) whilst there are benefits for me.

When I was incurring travel and subsistence expenses, the only advantage I gained over a permie role, apart from being able to continue earning, was that I could split my contractor income through MyCo between myself and my wife, where she could benefit from using her personal allowance, as she wasn't in gainful employment. This structure suited the clients and myself, but not HMRC obviously. Hence my great hostility to all things IR35. I wasn't subject to the FTM issues as I was made redundant at 49, as part of a controlled shutdown of the employer's activities in the UK. So contracting was my only way to continue earning.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  I knew I'd get a juicey catch there but you Mal???

Comment

I knew I'd get a juicey catch there but you Mal???
                    I hate to disappoint...

We need a reverse whoosh smiley.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for this, just reading through as someone has just called me about an inside IR35 job (never considered one before), so trying to get it clear in my head.
                      So, no mileage, no expenses, looks like best option to use brolly (e.g. CU) which has a monthly fee (£95) & they sort everything out, & I need to pay NICs & PAYE.
                      So in order to combat some of this I need to get the rate increased & eat humble pie?
                      Is that about the size of it?
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X