• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's changed - FAQ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    In other news the NI regulation changes are now up at https://www.gov.uk/government/public...gulations-2017

That's not really of interest:-

Page 2 of this however https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...PDF_file_3.pdf states that otherwise the person would be treated as an employee (sorry I haven't posted a quote its a pdf image file rather than text). If anyone was going for rights via a tribunal I suspect it is employee rights you are aiming for not worker rights.

Let me do that for you...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It also depends on the terms of your contract. As I commented earlier today someone elsewhere had a contract that allowed tax to be deducted from payments if the agency was required to do so...
      The contract was signed before Christmas, and I've rechecked it, it has no reference to withholding of tax in any situation.

As soon as any payment comes in light, I'm going straight to the court for breach of contract.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirespud View Post
        The contract was signed before Christmas, and I've rechecked it, it has no reference to withholding of tax in any situation.

As soon as any payment comes in light, I'm going straight to the court for breach of contract.
        Well I hope you're successful with this, good luck yorkshirespud.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Surely though the change is due to a change in the law, and this change to the law was known about when you (both) signed the contract - so can't see what you think you'll gain?

Comment

Won't happen. Come April, once the client informs the agency that you are now deemed to be inside IR35, your contract will be terminated and a new one issued containing the revised payment terms. They will be entitled to do this as they are simply reflecting a change in legislation and legal obligations, and not to do so would negate the contract anyway. Your choice will be to sign it or walk away.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Won't happen. Come April, once the client informs the agency that you are now deemed to be inside IR35, your contract will be terminated and a new one issued containing the revised payment terms. They will be entitled to do this as they are simply reflecting a change in legislation and legal obligations, and not to do so would negate the contract anyway. Your choice will be to sign it or walk away.
              That's what makes early April such a problem for Agencies. To get past the rules they need to get all of March's payments done by April 5th - most agencies I've spoken to are dreading it but have an additional one off payroll run scheduled.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's what makes early April such a problem for Agencies. To get past the rules they need to get all of March's payments done by April 5th - most agencies I've spoken to are dreading it but have an additional one off payroll run scheduled.
                From what I've seen so far, both the PS client and Agency have their heads in the sand and hope it all goes away.

I actually feel a little sympathy for the Agencies (not too much mind) as the Agency effectively has to become the enforcer for any PS client decision. Again, what I've seen, the Agency is not set up at all to make NIC/Tax payments etc, and have not prepared at all, in their contracts or payments setup.

Bottom line, I don't think PS client or Agent will do anything proactively, including cancelling contracts, which leaves them wide open to legal action if they end up withholding payments.

Comment

Bottom line, I don't think many PS clients or Agents will do anything proactively, including cancelling contracts, which leaves them wide open to legal action if they end up withholding payments.
                  I've fixed it for you. We are very prepared.
                  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

My company is being offered a direct contract in the public sector. 99% of the work is done from my own office, and my company currently provides services for this public sector organisation via another company, a small consultancy, currently outside IR35. Have control, right of substitution, etc.

I understand the decision on whether the contract is within IR35 will now be up to the public sector organisation. Is there any way if I sign a contract now, that I can ensure the contract terms are such that it will be deemed outside of IR35, and that there is no comeback to me if it is later deemed to be inside? The organisation have an urgent need for my speciality so I may be able to dictate the terms.

I also dont want to take the contract if it has a high risk of being terminated in April because of the changes.

Advice appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                      I've nearly fixed it for you. We are very prepared.
                      You are supposed to bold the bit you've FTFY'd. You should know better!!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X