• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    It was reported today that Network Rail have declared every worker as Outside IR35. By all account this includes Litter Pickers and Hedgrerow Cutters!

I've not seen the communication, but I am closing the book on where the HMRC tanks will be pointing April 7th if true.
    I got this emailed to me about an hour ago.

"I am attaching the details for a new role with DFT//DFT Core//Rail Group (DfT RG).

DELETED TEXT

• Job Title: XXXX
    • IR35 Status: IN SCOPE
    • CV Submission Deadline: Friday 31st March @ 10:30 am
    • The Maximum Pay Rate: £XXX UMBRELLA
    • Contract Length: XXXX
    • Security Clearance Level Required: XXXX"

Comment

Latest in my last few days is that the PSB have decided they want to sever ties with the agencies and set us up a band of contractors as direct suppliers and we invoice direct. Declared outside by PSB.

Then after a few months go back to the agencies.

No one here thinks thats strange.

Is it me or does is smack of evasion of sorts? I've got a new contract starting Monday at a new company so doesnt affect me.

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post
        Latest in my last few days is that the PSB have decided they want to sever ties with the agencies and set us up a band of contractors as direct suppliers and we invoice direct. Declared outside by PSB.

Is it me or does is smack of evasion of sorts? I've got a new contract starting Monday at a new company so doesnt affect me.
        No matter what they do, they need to make an assessment and record that. If they assess you as outside then why would you change to working through an agency who will take a cut and possibly go bust with your money?

If they make a mistake / lie on the assessment, then the fee payer is liable for their mistake / lie.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It smacks of PSB wanting to complete the project, rather than risking losing contractors to IR35. Through an agency or direct, they still have to provide a determination. That said, if they want to sever ties with agencies, then they need to consider the extra admin that they'll have to do to manage individual supplier contracts.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            It smacks of PSB wanting to complete the project, rather than risking losing contractors to IR35. Through an agency or direct, they still have to provide a determination. That said, if they want to sever ties with agencies, then they need to consider the extra admin that they'll have to do to manage individual supplier contracts.
            They are going to given an outside determination.

not sure what the agencies will make of it either - sure they dont want to lose out on getting paid. Although its a small number of contractors and probably the threat of no future contracts

Comment

They are going to given an outside determination.

not sure what the agencies will make of it either - sure they dont want to lose out on getting paid. Although its a small number of contractors and probably the threat of no future contracts
              If the PSB bins off the agencies, then the handcuff clauses are null and void - there is no demonstrable loss if the agency can no longer supply the contractor.

The problem arises when they want to take agencies back on at a later date. What happens then? Do some stay direct? Do they decide if the role is outside and advertise as direct only or inside via agency/umbrella route? HMRC have really messed things up here.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                If the PSB bins off the agencies, then the handcuff clauses are null and void - there is no demonstrable loss if the agency can no longer supply the contractor.

The problem arises when they want to take agencies back on at a later date. What happens then? Do some stay direct? Do they decide if the role is outside and advertise as direct only or inside via agency/umbrella route? HMRC have really messed things up here.
                What are the odds on one of the agencies attempting to highlight this little setup to HMRC?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  What are the odds on one of the agencies attempting to highlight this little setup to HMRC?
                  PSB responds with blanket outside declaration and never uses agencies again. Your move Mr Stoopid Agent.

Comment

This Stoopid Agent would review the contract and send a bill for the appropriate transfer fee on the 6th April.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice...

I've been working for public sector in a contract I deemed as "outside IR35" and intended to work up until 31st March and receive payment for that week on 5th April. This contract was then going to be terminated since the client deemed it "inside IR35".

Unfortunately the agency failed to make the payment and so it will be made after 6th April and so PAYE and NIC should have been deducted at source by the fee payer - i.e. my public sector client - but it hasn't.

Does anyone know what will happen now?

Will I be asked to pay the PAYE and employees NIC retrospectively?
                      Will I be subject to investiation given I've worked previously outside IR35 and have received payment after the 6th with an "inside IR35" decision for the same contract?

I'm trying to get the agency to hold payment until this can be clarified.

Comment

Working...
                      X