• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    Oh Yes, scenario 3 if I recall.

This option would not circumvent the rules , but potentially a consultancy could hoover up the contractors , bung them a couple of hundred more and then once they get their own staff prepped, swap then out for permies.

Cost to client : the same (eg 1200 or whatever)
    £ to contractor: few hundred more
    Advantage to big 4: secure the work and make a few hundred profit on the contractor for 6 months then swap out for permies and make many 00s a day.

Managed service means they now have the business for an eternity
    Or simply leave the happy contractors in place with very little management required, while allowing a couple of senior consultants to go in and sell more bums on seats on the back of the seasoned contractors doing a good job.

You've a lot to learn about consulting.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Or simply leave the happy contractors in place with very little management required, while allowing a couple of senior consultants to go in and sell more bums on seats on the back of the seasoned contractors doing a good job.
      Ah yes, good point.

I've steered clear of consulting (purposefully) but am wondering whether that is a viable option in a post April future, hence my Qs.

You've a lot to learn about consulting.
      Yes I know....that's why i asked the Q!

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        Yes I know....that's why i asked the Q!
        Maybe that's where you are coming over wrong. You made a statement, not asked a question.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Maybe that's where you are coming over wrong. You made a statement, not asked a question.
          Then it is my error if that was the case.

I was thinking aloud. I personally believe that there changes will eventually roll out to all sectors, so have started to explore what that may mean a few yrs down the road. I'm wondering whether working with/via a consultancy is viable in the future.....by which I mean a model similar to what London Manc cited, ie billing an amount which is broadly comparable to pre April rules and being able to work and be left alone rather than a consultancy lapdog.

Comment

Indeed but they are a different model to us being engaged via an agent so not really a like for like comparison. Still outrageous though.
            Oh the agent takes a cut too and another intermediary. For a hypothetical 500 / day contract it costs the public sector 1500.

In the case here there's BIG CONSULTANCY -> boutique agency -> recruitment agency

Comment

Yes to the first part; but I've seen other consultancies try and "compete" for business with local contractors by using bobs.

As for it not being viable, put in a quote to reflect the new tax levels. While they don't care about your tax situation, you do. It's not like it's changed mid-contract and you're about to down tools because they aren't going to reissue a new contract.
              Bobs? IS this a reference to a certain episode of Blackadder II ?

Comment

Doesn't one example in the consultation document cover the scenario where a consultancy has a number of people in. I'm sure they are still in scope.
                You mean (from April 2017) where a BIG CONSULTANCY brings in contractors to work at client site? Surely when HR uses the employment status test tool it will appear inside IR35 and the BIG CONSULTANCY will deduct PAYE/NIC.

At least that's how it will have to work. I suspect they are cooking up other plans to dump contractors on day rates and go for fixed term employment contracts the type of which are found in other public sector bodies.

My enquiry as to why agencies are flogging contracts (via BIG CONSULTANCIES) as outside of IR35 has so far gone unanswered. I will call their helpline. It would look a bit bad if they were hiring contractors to work at HRMC and encouraging them to pay incorrect tax.
                Last edited by neil99; 1 September 2016, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by neil99 View Post
                  You mean where an BIG CONSULTANCY brings in contractors to work at client site? That's totally inside IR35 and the BIG CONSULTANCY will deduct PAYE/NIC.

At least that's how it will have to work. I suspect they are cooking up other plans.

My enquiry as to why agencies are flogging contracts (via BIG CONSULTANCIES) as outside of IR35 has so far gone unanswered. I will call their helpline. It would look a bit bad if they were hiring contractors to work at HRMC and encouraging them to pay incorrect tax.
                  A consultancy bringing a contractor in to work at DWP or HMRC would not necessarily at the moment be caught by IR35...

Come April next year and the new rules that could well change....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    A consultancy bringing a contractor in to work at DWP or HMRC would not necessarily at the moment be caught by IR35...

Come April next year and the new rules that could well change....
                    Sure. I made that statement with April 2017 in mind. BIG CONSULTANCY HR would have to do the IR35 test and presumably this would result in being inside IR35. B C won't want to take any risks on this!

Comment

Originally posted by neil99 View Post
                      Bobs? IS this a reference to a certain episode of Blackadder II ?
                      Derogatory and generic reference to overseas workers shipped in under outsourcing agreements. Much quickness, plenty cheapness.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X