• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cerner View Post
    The most sensible approach I stated never say wait till FTT before mobilising a group. If you check again as per below. Forming a group is the first stage and that can start NOW. Even though I believe you will only get potentially about 25% of the numbers that will no doubt be scrambling to join as step 5/6 approaches. I'm just stating do NOT hand over money to group organisers until stage 6 as per below. Hope you understand now.

1. Form a group (Saleos group seems sensible option) as 'sleeper cell'
    2. Dig in and wait until HMRC picks someone to use as Edge EBT test case.
    3. If HMRC wins the test case and contact us to notify us that a test case was lost and urging us to pay up
    4. The 'sleeper cell' (Saleos) group is immediately activated into action
    5. Group organisers make contact with and urge the losing taxpayer to appeal the ruling with promise of full financial backing from the group.
    6. Group organisers will now begin to collect fighting funds from the group members in the lead up to the appeal hearing.

Even when we approach stage 6, I will advise the group members meet Saleos for a meeting in person to plan the next strategy going forward. This will also be an opportunity to check Identity of Saleos with passport ID check etc.. and taking photocopy of it for keeps. I WILL STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST HANDING MONEY TO SOME VIRTUAL PERSON OFF THE INTERNET YOU HAVEN'T MET IN PERSON HOWEVER CREDIBLE THEY MIGHT APPEAR TO BE
    What's the use of a group if it doesn't have access to professional advice?

As I said before, you are assuming HMRC will leave the majority of you alone and will only focus on a handful of test cases. That's possible but unlikely.

Saleos isn't a virtual person. If you google Saleos Consulting you can check out his website. He is an experienced CTA. I have been very impressed with what he has posted here, and also exchanges I've had with him offline, so much so that I've recommended him to our group (No To Retro Tax).

He is in direct contact with the Inspector in charge of the Edge investigation, and can therefore deal with any questions/requests from HMRC as and when they arise.

Comment

HMRC letters

The letter template you used to appeal HMRC's assessment came from a professional advisor. Free of charge on this occasion.

What are you going to do when HMRC writes to you again? The next letter might not be so easy to reply to.

I can totally understand if you begrudge handing over money, when Edge should have been dealing with this for you. I would feel exactly the same. It's a sh1tty position to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by K12AN View Post
        progress - these cases are well funded and well represented...unlike the Boyle case. .
        Boyle was represented by Accountax. I think they're pretty competent...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Agreed, Accountax are a good outfit, but we don't know what budget they were given to work with to prepare the groundwork etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            No, it does NOT mean that. It means that you have the ability to contact them yourself.
            Thanks. Could I please confirm if PM rights have been granted?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              What's the use of a group if it doesn't have access to professional advice?

Saleos isn't a virtual person. If you google Saleos Consulting you can check out his website. He is an experienced CTA. I have been very impressed with what he has posted here, and also exchanges I've had with him offline, so much so that I've recommended him to our group (No To Retro Tax).

He is in direct contact with the Inspector in charge of the Edge investigation, and can therefore deal with any questions/requests from HMRC as and when they arise.

I searched for "Saleos Consulting" on google and didn't find any results on the first page for them? What is their website URL?

Comment

Philip Boyle Decision

Here is the link to HMRC's recent announcement:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...avoidance-case

You can PM me if you need a copy of the full judgement or you can find it on the Government website.

It is unlikely that Mr Boyle will appeal the decision.

Expect some important developments in the early New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by ammark View Post
                  I searched for "Saleos Consulting" on google and didn't find any results on the first page for them? What is their website URL?
                  http://saleosconsultancy.co.uk
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 21 December 2013, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ammark View Post
                    Thanks. Could I please confirm if PM rights have been granted?
                    Yes, you have PM access on your account. Click "Settings" in the dark bar below the cuk logo /banner ad and you will see in the left hand column "My Messages", "Inbox", "Sent Items" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Accountax or anyone cannot turn a poorly implemented scheme into a good one. I encourage everyone to read the full decision. It really sheds light on what were the issues and why the decision was made. Also read the rangers case. HMRC might want to use Boyle decision and I cannot get my head around how it affect us.

Comment

Working...
                      X