• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon, this has been the issue since day one. They announced the CLSO opportunity, with a deadline to register by 30th June, but still started to issue APN's. The two departments are completely different and they are both just cracking on, implementing what they have been told, regardless.

It all comes down to a lottery basically, the later you receive your APN, the better position (potentially) you are in with regards to CLSO, JR etc....

People who joined the JR but received APN's prior to the JR being lodged and acknowledged, had to decide if they wanted to pay it or not, with the understanding that penalties will be added if the payment date was not met.

It is all win, win for HMRC !!
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by SimonJones View Post
      I did register for CLSO long time ago. But both the APN and CLSO I received (in August) are not particulary correct in the figures that they have stated. I've sent them the representation letter to review/correct the figures and to date they have not come back. How can they charge one additional penalties or change terms when they haven't replied to your letter in the first palce?
      I'm in a similar position. I called the CLSO helpline and complained, and my case got escalated to a supervisor, who called me back several days later and promised a letter soon after (this is yet to arrive).

From my experience, what seems to happen is they have a bunch of junior people issuing the paperwork, and if you write back to them but they can't answer your questions, they just do nothing and get on with the easy ones.

If you are looking to progress things, call and make a polite fuss, ask awkward questions like how can they impose deadlines then not reply to letters for months, and you should get something out of them.

I can't comment on APN department - that's my next letter!

Comment

I have had a few conversations with HMRC about late joiners to the CLSO.

In general HMRC says "welcome" but.... "we reserve the right to charge a penalty".

How much? ask I?

Don't know yet, comes the answer.

Arguably HMRC's case for applying a penalty where the CLSO has been declined (or no application before the 30th June deadline was made) is weak.

There has been no proven wrong doing in terms of declarations and statements (possible exception of Sandfield scheme users and for schemes that are sufficiently similar to that one) and therefore no "carelessness, negligence or deliberate concealment".

perhaps therefore the stock answer from HMRC is just to cover HMRC's potential to take action (a bit like the IHT statements in the CLSO) rather than serious intent, but obviously should a case be won by HMRC that could change.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

How many will accept CSLO

I don't think many will be accepting the CSLO anyway, there is no incentive and the figures are way too high for many. The acceptance levels will be low I think.
          Last edited by LandRover; 27 August 2015, 17:39.
          http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
            I don't think many will be accepting the CSLO anyway, there is no incentive and the figures are way to high for many. The acceptance levels will be low I think.
            Bit of a vox pop but I've now reviewed a couple of dozen and recommended acceptance in ONE case.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

A Newbie and need advice

Hi,
              I am new to this forum and have just received an APN. I have tried reading this very long thread on EBT and frankly, I am a bit lost.
              Can someone please help me out? I have been a contractor with Norla/Edge from 2006 to 2008. I wish to know if someone can point me in the right direction as to which group to join to fight this or should I be talking about a payment plan because I certainly do not have the funds to make the payments they are demanding in 60 days. They mentioned that they sent me an Accelerated Payment notice on the 1st July but I have not received anything.
              Please help. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
              Shano

Comment

Originally posted by Shano View Post
                Hi,
                I am new to this forum and have just received an APN. I have tried reading this very long thread on EBT and frankly, I am a bit lost.
                Can someone please help me out? I have been a contractor with Norla/Edge from 2006 to 2008. I wish to know if someone can point me in the right direction as to which group to join to fight this or should I be talking about a payment plan because I certainly do not have the funds to make the payments they are demanding in 60 days. They mentioned that they sent me an Accelerated Payment notice on the 1st July but I have not received anything.
                Please help. Any advice would be much appreciated.
                Thanks,
                Shano
                Welcome to the party, Shano.
                You should discuss time-to-pay with HMRC. We hear they give 12 month plans, maybe longer.

Other than that, I would recommend joining Big Group (link in my sig. below).

There is also a Edge-specific group which may be preparing litigation, but I don't have the details about this, so someone in the know might want to chime in.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                  Welcome to the party, Shano.
                  You should discuss time-to-pay with HMRC. We hear they give 12 month plans, maybe longer.

Other than that, I would recommend joining Big Group (link in my sig. below).

There is also a Edge-specific group which may be preparing litigation, but I don't have the details about this, so someone in the know might want to chime in.
                  Thank you DotasScandal for the response and advice. I will be looking into Big Group. Have anyone heard of Saleos Consulting. I read from another thread that they seem to have quite a number ppl going through their service but not sure as to their performance etc.
                  An Edge-specific group? That could be an option. Does anyone out there know more about this and where they are at with the EBT scheme i.e. are they fighting or negotiating

Thanks again.

Comment

PM Access

Could the administrator grant me the PM rights please

Comment

Done!

Comment

Working...
                      X