• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattjford View Post
    I just need to wait now to find out what this is about.
    PM me.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

APN re: withdrawl of APN

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      Most importantly, you may want to find out exactly why they withdrew the APN. It sounds a bit fishy.
      It might be that they did so only to reissue one (in which case you still win a new 90 days period and another shot a representation)
      They ( Bristol office ) have withdrawled the initial APN ( " issued in error " ) and issued another one under Part 4, Chapter 3 of the Finance Act 2014.
      So that buys me 90 days to make a representation. The figure is the same as before.

Comment

What's the latest advice for this?

I've been out of the country for 2.5 years and now hmrc are on my case

First I heard was last year that there was no return for 2010/11 so got an accountant to submit a late one which had 3 payslips from edge and now they are investigating that.

Spoke to hmrc and they said they will resend letters as I obviously never received them

I was only in the scheme a short while as they folded

Do I appeal or cough up?

Comment

Originally posted by jubblyboy View Post
          What's the latest advice for this?

I've been out of the country for 2.5 years and now hmrc are on my case

First I heard was last year that there was no return for 2010/11 so got an accountant to submit a late one which had 3 payslips from edge and now they are investigating that.

Spoke to hmrc and they said they will resend letters as I obviously never received them

I was only in the scheme a short while as they folded

Do I appeal or cough up?
          There are no right or wrong answers, only opinions when it comes down to it. Depends on how much your potential exposure is, your ability to absorb pressure, desire/willingness for a fight etc.

Comment

I coughed up

I contracted through Edge/ Norla for about 6 months back in 2007.
            The amount I was looking at after I took up the CLSO was substantial, but not enough to warrant paying to join Saleos or Big Group to represent me, so I coughed up.

What irked me more than HMRC going after me all these years later, for what was at the time a legal and acceptable scheme, was that these scroungers demanded I pay 3% interest on all the money outstanding dating back to when the tax return for that year would have been due! At no point since 2007 have interest rates been at that level.

I am not invested in an answer here, but please can someone let me know if Saleos or Big Group have made representation in court yet? I am very curious to know if they succeed and am rooting for them that they have a positive outcome.

Comment

I can't speak for Saleos but Big Group is not planning a litigation on the substantive issue of underlying liability and as such has not been to Court.

We are planning Court action on a number of other issues connected with the alleged liability and the April 2019 charges. I would expect these to be listed for a hearing in the next few months.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Got APN, not sure what to do....

I got APN notice for 2008/09. I called up and they had sent me computation. HMRC added £15k as "Other Income" and recalculated my tax for that year. I am not sure how they arrived at "Other income". Is this how this has been done for others?

Also I have a question on whether I should write an appeal as an earlier post (Feb 2013) had suggested and not doing that will be taken as acceptance. I read that there is an appeal process in progress and should HMRC ends up losing, will this letter play any role in me claiming the money back?

Comment

Originally posted by Aquarian View Post
                  Also I have a question on whether I should write an appeal as an earlier post (Feb 2013) had suggested and not doing that will be taken as acceptance. I read that there is an appeal process in progress and should HMRC ends up losing, will this letter play any role in me claiming the money back?
                  There is NO appeal process for APNs. What you are referring to is probably appeal for an assessment that would have been raised back in the day. This is completely independant from APNs.
                  What you should do is
                  1/ Get with the program, i.e. educate yourself with the state of play as of TODAY. www.dotas-scandal.org is one place you can start
                  2/ Join a private forum such as Big Group
                  People won't post info on here, as HMRC read these boards all day ()
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Aquarian View Post
                    I got APN notice for 2008/09. I called up and they had sent me computation. HMRC added £15k as "Other Income" and recalculated my tax for that year. I am not sure how they arrived at "Other income". Is this how this has been done for others?

Just to clarify for you. If you received an enquiry into the tax year within the prescribed time limits then you would have had an opportunity to appeal at the time. If you received an APN then there is again an opportunity to send a representation stating why you think the APN is invalid and should be withdrawn. The APN should outline how you go about it. If you miss the deadline then the APN amount becomes due. If your representation is rejected (and it will be) then it becomes payable. The only real point of making representation is to get the computation changed (in your favour of course) if it is 'incorrectly calculated' and/or delay the inevitable payment.

Other than that that the process is akin to the racketeers paying a visit, but without being physically punched in the face.

Our dedicated Edge group is still alive BTW.

Comment

master schedule of documents and information required

HMRC have sent me a letter re an EBT employment I was part of in 2004/05. I received no APN for that employment. I did ask for settlement details but chose not to settle. I wrote letter via signed for delivery asking to appeal to Ms Stoops but was ignored. Has any one else received this very intimidating letter from HMRC? I have to comply within a month. How can they demand any and all info I have about that EBT scheme?

Comment

Working...
                      X