• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For an APN to be valid HMRC have to satisfy conditions A, B & C.

They had their fingers burned by Montpellier because that scheme didn't satisfy all conditions and are now being sued. Seems like they don't want burned again. Expect and change in the law during the next budget, stating not all conditions need to be met anymore to issue an APN and we'll be back to square one.

Condition A: An enquiry or appeal is in progress; and
    Condition B: The tax return, claim or appeal relates to a tax advantage resulting from a tax arrangement; and
    Condition C: One or more of the following applies:
    – A “Follower Notice” has been issued; or
    – The arrangements are considered “DOTAS” arrangements; or
    – A General Anti-Abuse Rule (“GAAR”) notice has been issued.

Comment

Hi HMRC sent a letter to a relatives house about the time I spent using edge in 2005 -2006. It's the first I've heard of these problems. I'd really appreciate more information about what the problem is, how they get their sums and whats the next course of action.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjford View Post
        Hi HMRC sent a letter to a relatives house about the time I spent using edge in 2005 -2006. It's the first I've heard of these problems. I'd really appreciate more information about what the problem is, how they get their sums and whats the next course of action.
        What did they send you? A discovery assessment or apn?

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
          What did they send you? A discovery assessment or apn?
          Warning of enforcement action. I'm not sure for what though but when I called them, the lady said it was because I used edge consulting. I've read though this forum and learned a bit. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Warning of enforcement action. I'm not sure for what though but when I called them, the lady said it was because I used edge consulting.
            There must be a shortcut here that's escaping me.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              There must be a shortcut here that's escaping me.
              I'm quite perplexed by the whole affair. The impression I got was that the people I spoke to were tasked with only accepting payment and couldn't give further details of why the money is owed because they don't have that information. The phone number is legitimate, so its not pishing. Hopefully it's not a rogue office.

From this forum my understanding is that HMRC are issuing APNs to users of Edge Consulting, there is no possibility to delay payment or query the sums by disputing, payment is due in 30 days.

Comment

I'm quite perplexed by the whole affair. The impression I got was that the people I spoke to were tasked with only accepting payment and couldn't give further details of why the money is owed because they don't have that information. The phone number is legitimate, so its not pishing. Hopefully it's not a rogue office.

From this forum my understanding is that HMRC are issuing APNs to users of Edge Consulting, there is no possibility to delay payment or query the sums by disputing, payment is due in 30 days.
                That doesn't make sense either.
                Firstly, the APN payment terms are 90 days. 30 days is if the APN has been modified FOLLOWING a representation.
                Secondly, we have yet to hear of APN’s where the amount cannot be disputed.
                Thirdly, if there is no calculation attached to the APN, the APN is probably invalid.

Seriously, the approximations posted on these forums practically daily are helping no one.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Warning of enforcement action. I'm not sure for what though but when I called them, the lady said it was because I used edge consulting. I've read though this forum and learned a bit. Thanks everyone.

What years did you use Edge? You must have had Enquiry Notices or Discovery Assessments sent previously, no?

They can't just send a demand for payment without prior comms.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                    What years did you use Edge? You must have had Enquiry Notices or Discovery Assessments sent previously, no?

They can't just send a demand for payment without prior comms.
                    Thanks, checked this. I've lived abroad over 7 years, they say everything was sent to my old address.

I was getting letters about tax to my UK forwarding addresses so thought everything was going there, seems not. But I didn't earn in UK, didn't know there was any problems.

Anyway they found me for the payment demand but that's all I've seen.

I wish they used registered mail for this type of communications. Or even email.

Comment

Thanks, checked this. I've lived abroad over 7 years, they say everything was sent to my old address.

I was getting letters about tax to my UK forwarding addresses so thought everything was going there, seems not. But I didn't earn in UK, didn't know there was any problems.

Anyway they found me for the payment demand but that's all I've seen.

I wish they used registered mail for this type of communications. Or even email.

I just need to wait now to find out what this is about.

Comment

Working...
                      X