• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyper View Post
    I am in the same situation. I can’t find the PM section. Can someone advice. Thanks
    Did you end up finding the person/ entity that owns the loan book?

Comment

Originally posted by aworriedcontractor View Post
      I intend to settle with HMRC for the EBT loans from Edge. It's HMRC's understanding that the Edge Trustees will not agree to the loans being written off. I was told to get confirmation in writing from the Trustee that they agree to the loan write off. Does anyone know how to contact the Trustees of Edge EBT?
      Many thanks
      Hello, did you end up settling with hmrc? Did they demand paye and inheritance tax?

Comment

New to this thread

Originally posted by Uknowme79 View Post
        Hello, did you end up settling with hmrc? Did they demand paye and inheritance tax?
        Did you get anywhere with this question - would help a lot of us I think.
        Has anyone got a good accountant to do the settlement process for you that that they can recommend please?

Comment

Help re Norla / Green Bay / Edge

Good day
          I contracted via Norla consulting many years ago and I got a letter from the HMRC yesterday saying they believe I have used a tax avoidance scheme and therefore liable to the 2019 loan charge . My biggest problem now is that I have got no details whatsoever re my time at Norla. I think it was around 2004 but can’t even remember if it was Green Bay or edge consulting that was involved in the set up. I want to sort this out but don’t know how to proceed as i have no details. Does anybody remember when Norla changed from using Green Bay to Edge ( or vice versa) ?. Please PM me if you can advise

Comment

Me too.

Used Norla over 10 years ago for several months, my first contract and at 24yo got absolutely suckered into what was clearly marked an "HMRC approved/compliant" scheme. Absolutely no way I can work out the exact amount I earned during my time using them. I have replied to them quoting the data protection act and asking them to release all the data and information they have on me concerning my involvement with such a scheme. I pay through my nose in taxes today due to high income on perm basis, I really don't want to pay more than what I'm due to.

Comment

Norla / Edge

Pretty shocked to receive a letter this week from HMRC wrt to a few months of contracting I did in 2007 through Norla. This was the only offshore scheme I used, and it was for such a short period, I'm genuinely surprised that HMRC would be bothered. I guess they're going after everyone they can find.

If anyone has any pointers for how to approach this, I would really appreciate any advice. Please DM me if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cj90210 View Post
                Me too.

Used Norla over 10 years ago for several months, my first contract and at 24yo got absolutely suckered into what was clearly marked an "HMRC approved/compliant" scheme. Absolutely no way I can work out the exact amount I earned during my time using them. I have replied to them quoting the data protection act and asking them to release all the data and information they have on me concerning my involvement with such a scheme. I pay through my nose in taxes today due to high income on perm basis, I really don't want to pay more than what I'm due to.
                Same happened to me this week and I am in exactly the same situation - no bank statements, no records, no invoices. Spoke to HMRC as would rather just get it sorted but they don't seem to have any numbers either. Where does this leave us!?

Comment

Originally posted by mattatattat View Post
                  Same happened to me this week and I am in exactly the same situation - no bank statements, no records, no invoices. Spoke to HMRC as would rather just get it sorted but they don't seem to have any numbers either. Where does this leave us!?
                  I used Edge for three months in 2005 and I got the same letter dated 8th August received 10th August. In the same boat as you guys. I have requested at Foi sar as I have no figures. Their normal method the seem to be using is is paye salary x 5 when you can’t provide the info.

The number they gave goes dead after few rings. I have requested callback so let’s see.

Comment

Mattatattat
                    Did the HMRC say what to do next ?

I sent an email saying for them to give me details of dates, amounts etc but all I got was a standard reply saying I needed to provide all the info before sep 30

Originally posted by mattatattat View Post

Comment

Unraveling the Edge/Norla/Green Bay scheme from public records is not difficult, just requires a bit of patience.

The trustee is still around and contactable and generally happy to help.

The loan book is accessible if not public.

If you do not have the numbers, you can use any reasonable estimate.

If you don't have bank statements, then go back to day rate and days worked and calculate it from there.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X