• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Agreed.

The letters could be viewed as a warning/threat/ultimatum. "Come forward voluntarily and settle or else you'll be issued with APNs." HMRC could then say they'd given people ample opportunity to settle their affairs before releasing the APN salvo.

The trouble is there is no friggin incentive to settle.

Settle = tax + interest
    APN = tax

Doh!
    Couldn't agree more.

HMRC could in one initiative more less wipe out most of these outstanding appeals by offering a one time only opportunity to settle a X% of liability. It would save HMRC a fortune in long term battles.

I guess the argument HMRC would use against that, would be that to the "rest" of the general public, it just looks like HMRC are letting them off paying tax.....although we all know there's far more to the whole debacle than that.
    Last edited by MrO666; 11 August 2014, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
      Couldn't agree more.

HMRC could in one initiative more less wipe out most of these outstanding appeals by offering a one time only opportunity to settle a X% of liability. It would save HMRC a fortune in long term battles.

I guess the argument HMRC would use against that, would be that to the "rest" of the general public, it just looks like HMRC are letting them off paying tax.....although we all know there's far more to the whole debacle than that.
      Yes and, by the same argument, they can't rule out bankrupting people who can't pay APNs.

HMRC are, by far, the largest petitioner of bankruptcies in the UK. It's part of their normal toolkit for dealing with taxpayers who can't pay large debts. It would be difficult for them to justify not using this with APNs.

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayer...ebt/bankruptcy

It is important to understand that the Enforcement Office does not behave like most commercial creditors. In particular, it often petitions for bankruptcy even where it is clear that this will not benefit HM Revenue and Customs because the taxpayer has no assets. Indeed, sometimes the bankruptcy costs the government money, because the bankrupt loses their home and/or job and is forced to rely upon social housing and/or welfare benefits.
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 12 August 2014, 07:39.

Comment

APN's

Hi All, I've been following the threads and have a question regarding the APN's as I’m not fully sure how they are intended to work and don’t really wish to call HMRC.

After I received my letter from the dreaded Miss Stoop I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy tax certificates to the value of what HMRC state I owe, my question is: I have now received the letter giving me the chance to contact HMRC and agree a way forward to settle my so called tax liability as have many of you and me not being fully familiar with the APN ruling, does anyone know if I was to wait for the APN to arrive will the interest start from the day I received my original demand of which I’ve covered by way of certificates or 90 days after the date of the APN or even the date the APN is received?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes and, by the same argument, they can't rule out bankrupting people who can't pay APNs.

HMRC are, by far, the largest petitioner of bankruptcies in the UK. It's part of their normal toolkit for dealing with taxpayers who can't pay large debts. It would be difficult for them to justify not using this with APNs.

Tax debt, bankruptcy and Special Relief « TaxAid

It is important to understand that the Enforcement Office does not behave like most commercial creditors. In particular, it often petitions for bankruptcy even where it is clear that this will not benefit HM Revenue and Customs because the taxpayer has no assets. Indeed, sometimes the bankruptcy costs the government money, because the bankrupt loses their home and/or job and is forced to rely upon social housing and/or welfare benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
          Hi All, I've been following the threads and have a question regarding the APN's as I’m not fully sure how they are intended to work and don’t really wish to call HMRC.

After I received my letter from the dreaded Miss Stoop I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy tax certificates to the value of what HMRC state I owe, my question is: I have now received the letter giving me the chance to contact HMRC and agree a way forward to settle my so called tax liability as have many of you and me not being fully familiar with the APN ruling, does anyone know if I was to wait for the APN to arrive will the interest start from the day I received my original demand of which I’ve covered by way of certificates or 90 days after the date of the APN or even the date the APN is received?

I think i'm correct in saying that any interest liability will in effect have ceased to accrue on the day you purchased the tax certificates (assuming you purchased certificates for the full liability). The only additional money now would be if you refused to pay the APN, at which point they would start adding 5% penalties.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Comment

Interest accrues from when the tax was originally due for that tax year, not when you received Miss Stoop's letter. Buying a tax certficate (CTD) prevents any further interest from the date you bought it.

If you wait to receive the APN, you can use the CTD to pay it. APNs are only for tax. You will still owe interest from when the tax was due to when you bought the CTD but this won't be payable until your case is finally closed.

If you settle now you can use the CTD but you'll also have to pay the interest.

Comment

APN's

Interest accrues from when the tax was originally due for that tax year, not when you received Miss Stoop's letter. Buying a tax certficate (CTD) prevents any further interest from the date you bought it.

If you wait to receive the APN, you can use the CTD to pay it. APNs are only for tax. You will still owe interest from when the tax was due to when you bought the CTD but this won't be payable until your case is finally closed.

If you settle now you can use the CTD but you'll also have to pay the interest.
              Many thanks for your replies it really is appreciated.
              When I first received my demand I was given 30 days to respond and it was within that period that I purchase the certificates for the full amount, I was led to believe at the time reading other blogs etc that in the eyes of the HMRC and which was also stated within the demand that my account was clear of any interest liability if paid within that period and a certificate is as good as being paid just not handed over again so I’m led to believe.

I'm by no way saying I'm actually going to pay up all I'm doing is gaining a little more time so as I can seek more advice as I also feel we are being punished whereas in my eyes it should be the company who enticed us with their clever sales tactics into the scheme as I did actually think it was all above board call me naive but it's the truth nothing was hidden from the tax man they knew everything.

Comment

When I first received my demand I was given 30 days to respond and it was within that period that I purchase the certificates for the full amount, I was led to believe at the time reading other blogs etc that in the eyes of the HMRC and which was also stated within the demand that my account was clear of any interest liability if paid within that period and a certificate is as good as being paid just not handed over again so I’m led to believe.
                Unfortunately that is not the case.

For example, take tax year 2007/8. To avoid any interest at all you would need to have taken out a CTD in 2008.

If you received the assessment (demand) in 2012, and then purchased the CTD, you would be liable for around 4 years interest 2008-2012. The CTD would only prevent any further interest after 2012.

Comment

private group ex Sanzar

Originally posted by tax is taxing View Post
                  Can I have the details as well please? If such group exisits.

Can I have the details of the Private group for ex Sanzar pls?
                  Pls PM Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ata View Post
                    Can I have the details of the Private group for ex Sanzar pls?
                    Pls PM Thanks
                    can some one pm me it as well please
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    Recruitment consultants were sent to punish us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe101 View Post
                      can some one pm me it as well please
                      Same here can you PM me the Sanzar private group.
                      Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X