• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On that amount, I would probably settle under the understanding the your expenses are included in settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by horrada View Post
      On that amount, I would probably settle under the understanding the your expenses are included in settlement.
      Will HMRC consider expenses to be deducted? Have you read anything that implies that?

I ask as I have large expenses unclaimed for travel.
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
        Will HMRC consider expenses to be deducted? Have you read anything that implies that?

I ask as I have large expenses unclaimed for travel.
        Just a passing thought - who are you going to claim expenses from, exactly? Strictly speaking they should have been claimed on the relevant SAR/P11D for the year.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can claim on any expenses from up to 7 years before you formed your company.

Comment

Originally posted by horrada View Post
            You can claim on any expenses from up to 7 years before you formed your company.
            No, you can claim for reasonable incidental expenses associated with setting up your company or incurred while the company is getting its act together. Previous employments don't count.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Just a passing thought - who are you going to claim expenses from, exactly? Strictly speaking they should have been claimed on the relevant SAR/P11D for the year.
              That's the issue I have. Using an EBT scheme meant I didnt claim expenses for travel that I do now being LTD. Yes I know I was a idiot who took bad advice from accountant, but hindsight is wonderful. Will HMRC consider these travel expenses in the settlement opportunity? Somehow I doubt it.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                That's the issue I have. Using an EBT scheme meant I didnt claim expenses for travel that I do now being LTD. Yes I know I was a idiot who took bad advice from accountant, but hindsight is wonderful. Will HMRC consider these travel expenses in the settlement opportunity? Somehow I doubt it.
                Without knowing all the facts I can't say 100% but I can't see why the expenses shouldn't be allowed; presumably HMRC are fighting their case from the point of view that the EBT was a sham arrangement and that your earnings should have been taxed as employment income? If that's the case then any employment related expenses that haven't previously been claimed, that are supportable and meet HMRC's criteria should be allowable. Just bear in mind the earliest you can go back is 2010/11 tax year
                Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 31 July 2014, 07:58.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Without knowing all the facts I can't say 100% but I can't see why the expenses shouldn't be allowed; presumably HMRC are fighting their case from the point of view that the EBT was a sham arrangement and that your earnings should have been taxed as employment income? If that's the case then any employment related expenses that haven't previously been claimed, that are supportable and meet HMRC's criteria should be allowable.
                  It's a tricky one, isn't it. There are arguments both ways.

However, since you are trying to defend your position of being a regular taxpayer despite using a vehicle that Hector believes to be a sham tax avoidance one, pressing for additional tax relief on the grounds you weren't allowed to claim it from the sham company seems a little like waving a large red flag...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's a tricky one, isn't it. There are arguments both ways.

However, since you are trying to defend your position of being a regular taxpayer despite using a vehicle that Hector believes to be a sham tax avoidance one, pressing for additional tax relief on the grounds you weren't allowed to claim it from the sham company seems a little like waving a large red flag...
                    Maybe but HMRC have to play by their own rules and if an assessment has already been raised and will therefore presumably be payable I think it wouldn't hurt to at least approach them about it
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

No, you can claim for reasonable incidental expenses associated with setting up your company or incurred while the company is getting its act together. Previous employments don't count.

Who says expenses applies to previous employment?

Comment

Working...
                      X