• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by convict View Post
    see the link below for the process
    Finance Act 2013 — UK Parliament
    Great link thanks.
    Well nothing new today - it was always going to go this far, let's see what changes during the above process.

By the way how would HMRC recover monies people haven't got? And for those who could afford it I guess many will be leaving the UK now or filing for bankruptcy ahead of the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by creativity View Post
      Great link thanks.
      Well nothing new today - it was always going to go this far, let's see what changes during the above process.

By the way how would HMRC recover monies people haven't got? And for those who could afford it I guess many will be leaving the UK now or filing for bankruptcy ahead of the queue.
      I know people say that HMRC won't take payment plans over 2 years etc etc........I'm sure if your liability is enough to warrant it, then I'm sure they will take a payment plan. Afterall, you either tell them it's a plan or it's nothing and you can make me bankrupt......go for it..........I'm sure they'd work with you.

Comment

Is it effectively retrospective?

Originally posted by carling View Post
        Tax avoidance scheme promoters must give HMRC information about schemes they
        promote under the Disclosure of Tax Avoidance Scheme (DOTAS) rules. Anyone using such
        a scheme must declare to HMRC they are using a notified tax avoidance scheme. Following
        consultation,
        this Budget announces that the government intends to extend the new
        requirement for taxpayers to pay upfront any disputed tax associated with schemes
        covered by the DOTAS rules or counteracted under the General Anti Abuse Rule
        (GAAR).
        This new power will remove the cashflow advantage for the taxpayer of holding onto
        the disputed tax during an avoidance dispute. It will also provide HMRC with additional tools
        to address a legacy stock of an estimated 65,000 avoidance cases. The new power will only
        apply to tax avoidance schemes that are disputed by HMRC. The legislation will make it clear
        that HMRC will only be able to issue an accelerated payment notice where they have first sent
        the taxpayer an enquiry notice or issued them with a notice of assessment. It is not a new tax
        demand and does not make any changes to tax liabilities. If the taxpayer subsequently wins their
        case in the courts, they will be reimbursed with interest.
        Is this going back as well as forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Munday View Post
          Is this going back as well as forward?
          You bet. All the way back to 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            You bet. All the way back to 2004.
            So any tax return declared using a DOTAS, whether it has been challenged or not until now, will be subject to reassessment and a tax bill?

Comment

Does anybody know who if anyone will try and argue against this before it becomes law ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Munday View Post
                So any tax return declared using a DOTAS, whether it has been challenged or not until now, will be subject to reassessment and a tax bill?
                No, they have to have challenged it either by opening an enquiry or issuing an assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
                  Does anybody know who if anyone will try and argue against this before it becomes law ?
                  We (NTRT) and our lobbying company Whitehouse will be for starters. I've also heard that other parties are joining the fray.

Realistically, it will be a massive uphill struggle to prevent it becoming law. The Govt usually gets what it wants.

Also realistically, it will be very difficult to overturn it afterwards via Judicial Review since, in the eyes of the courts, Parliament is supreme.

Comment

From memory, wasn't it a case of of you don't pay it we will add penalties and interest ?

I can't remember anything about them trying to enforce payment. As has been said, I can't see how they can force you to pay something that they can't / won't stand in a court and say you owe.

Dangerous I agree as if it goes against you then you've got all the penalties too, but still an option, depending on how strong you think your case is.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      No, they have to have challenged it either by opening an enquiry or issuing an assessment.
                      Yes, but they can do that on a whim right?

I received a notice of assessment last year related to a discovery for the tax year 2008-2009. I appealed but will that now automatically become due?

Comment

Working...
                      X