• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobham Murphy

Originally posted by mdg View Post
    I'm a bit put out by Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham. Maybe someone on this thread has some good ideas for me

Received the HMRC letter. Put in a quick response as ours was up to the wall. The general initial letter for appeal.

Have since tried Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham M twice and they are refusing to act on our behalf now because they didn't lodge the appeal.

I'm a bit upset about this and not sure about how to handle the next steps. I don't mind paying a bit for advice along with others but this is a bit out on our own now.
    I was about to post my appeal (Based on Michael J Perry's template), when I read this.
    But, this makes me slightly unsure which way to go.

Has anyone who has gone through Cobham Murphy had a reply back from HMRC, regarding their appeal, yet? (or do the responses go straight to C.M ?)

/Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DesparateDan View Post
      I was about to post my appeal (Based on Michael J Perry's template), when I read this.
      But, this makes me slightly unsure which way to go.

Has anyone who has gone through Cobham Murphy had a reply back from HMRC, regarding their appeal, yet? (or do the responses go straight to C.M ?)

/Dan
      I agree it looks preferrable to go via Cobham at this stage (although who knows what kind of support they will offer further down the line).

Earlier in this thread I posted that I got my acceptance of appeal letter from HMRC, after having gone through the Contractor Helpdesk/Cobham Murphy route. So it does work. I haven't checked the exact timescales, but it was within about 10 working days I think. Cobham are/were batching up the appeals and sending a single generic letter with a list of names attached.

When I phoned HMRC to check if my appeal letter was received the guy said due to the volumes and their own backlog they are not being overly fussy about hitting the 30 day deadline exactly, but I wouldn't want to test that.

Comment

Originally posted by mdg View Post
        I'm a bit put out by Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham. Maybe someone on this thread has some good ideas for me

Received the HMRC letter. Put in a quick response as ours was up to the wall. The general initial letter for appeal.

Have since tried Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham M twice and they are refusing to act on our behalf now because they didn't lodge the appeal.

I'm a bit upset about this and not sure about how to handle the next steps. I don't mind paying a bit for advice along with others but this is a bit out on our own now.
        I'm in the same position in that case!

Comment

I have also used an accountant to lodge my appeal (which i have obviously paid for) but was hoping to gain some insight into how Cobham was planning to take the appeals forward or what their initial response was?

HMRC have responded to my appeal requesting information on the total loan amount from Sanzar as their assessment was based on my paye salary from Sanzar x 7 (odd i know)

Comment

Number in Sanzar group

Just did a head count on this thread and there appears to be 21 of us who used Sanzar....not many in the scheme of things really eh?

Comment

Of those who have discovered this forum.

We don't kid ourselves that we are the sole website on t'interweb.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Please join in!

I'm guessing but I would say there should be at least 500 scheme users for 08/09. The scheme was aggressively marketed on the internet, so could well be 1000+. Assume all of those got discovery letters. Some will have just paid up, especially if it was a small amount. Agreed only 21 on this thread is small. Lots will just be lurking with interest but not participating on the forum. Suspect if it came to litigation or if some joint funding/action was needed the group would grow v quickly. For the majority it's been fairly simple and free so far, for cobham route anyway...

I think it would be helpful for more users to register and post, as setting up a group and sharing knowledege now while we have time is better than doing it in a rush if things start to move quickly in future.

From what I've seen this is the main forum discussing these EBT discovery letters, other ones are just occasional individual queries.
                Last edited by Old Kent Road; 20 March 2013, 12:37.

Comment

Been Lurking... :-)

Originally posted by Old Kent Road View Post
                  I'm guessing but I would say there should be at least 500 scheme users for 08/09. The scheme was aggressively marketed on the internet, so could well be 1000+. Assume all of those got discovery letters. Some will have just paid up, especially if it was a small amount. Agreed only 21 on this thread is small. Lots will just be lurking with interest but not participating on the forum. Suspect if it came to litigation or if some joint funding/action was needed the group would grow v quickly. For the majority it's been fairly simple and free so far, for cobham route anyway...

I think it would be helpful for more users to register and post, as setting up a group and sharing knowledege now while we have time is better than doing it in a rush if things start to move quickly in future.

From what I've seen this is the main forum discussing these EBT discovery letters, other ones are just occasional individual queries.
                  Was with Sanzar. Yes, Cobham way for now. Lets see what the future holds.

Comment

Seminar on HMRC actions, EBT's and Tax Assessments/Enquiries/COP 8

I am glad to report that the London Seminar is going ahead thanks to the efforts of ''CONVICT'' who can deal with any questions.

Please refer to a separate thread kindly set-up by the administrator (EBT seminar).

Looks like Sunday 7 April will be the most likely day and it will be held in a West End location (TBC).

We need more people to make the event worthwhile!

Comment

Sleepless from Yesterday

I am in as well now. I received a letter from HMRC yesterday but not personally seen the letter. My wife mentioned that HMRC is looking for £40,000 from me and I dont understand I only stayed for 9 months with Sanzar.

Feeling very disturbed now and already started questioning whether to sell my house or take loan to stay a HMRC/Bank slave.. Big question..

Hope to find a good suggestion from your posts.. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X