• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shrek77 View Post
    Has anyone been asked for information or received demands for years other than 08/09?
    I've only received a 2008/2009 demand athough the amount is for all loans received prior to 2008/2009 - I was in the scheme for a year or so beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by Erhaab View Post
      I've only received a 2008/2009 demand athough the amount is for all loans received prior to 2008/2009 - I was in the scheme for a year or so beforehand

Does anyone else's relate to previous years to?
      Don't think mine does?

Comment

Other years?

Has anyone been asked for information or received demands for years other than 08/09?
        Yes, information requested for 2010/11. Being dealt with by Cobham Murphy now.

Comment

2009/10 Open Enquiry

Yes I have an open COP8 inquiry for Sanzar Solutions 09/10. It just says they are investigating the scheme centrally and no action needed at this time. Received nearly 2 years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Kent Road View Post
            Yes I have an open COP8 inquiry for Sanzar Solutions 09/10. It just says they are investigating the scheme centrally and no action needed at this time. Received nearly 2 years ago now.
            That's interesting that they have been investigating for 2 years with no demand for tax but have made these assessments for 08/09.

Comment

That's interesting that they have been investigating for 2 years with no demand for tax but have made these assessments for 08/09.
              Indeed. 2 years plus is what you would expect. And now we've appealed for 08/09 this could be a long wait as well.

It could be that, as others have guessed at, this time round Hmrc are on a fishing trip for any scheme users that will quickly settle.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year, to meet the discovery deadline, there might be a big bunch of discovery reassessments sent out for 09/10.

Comment

Cobham M

Hello all, does anyone know what Cobham are going to do once your appeal/postponement has been accepted by HMRC?
                Are they going to do a batch appeal and is it free?

Comment

Next action after appeal

Originally posted by Hazed View Post
                  Hello all, does anyone know what Cobham are going to do once your appeal/postponement has been accepted by HMRC?
                  Are they going to do a batch appeal and is it free?
                  It's a very pertinent question. Since we've already appealed (assuming you have) it's now HMRC's next action, and the consensus seems to be this could be a long wait. From HMRC's Reviews and appeals overview there will be some further "discussions" between you and HMRC for example why they continue to believe the scheme is income and not loans, perhaps an offer to settle, but then the most significant outcomes after that are either (1) the case is dropped as HMRC realise it's legal / not worth challenging (2) the case goes to a Tax tribunal for a ruling with legal counsel etc.

Re. Cobham fees. I think only simple and generic/batch responses to HMRC would be free (as per this appeal). Certainly representation at tribunal would not be.
                  Last edited by Old Kent Road; 17 March 2013, 20:35.

Comment

Help or advice needed

I'm a bit put out by Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham. Maybe someone on this thread has some good ideas for me

Received the HMRC letter. Put in a quick response as ours was up to the wall. The general initial letter for appeal.

Have since tried Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham M twice and they are refusing to act on our behalf now because they didn't lodge the appeal.

I'm a bit upset about this and not sure about how to handle the next steps. I don't mind paying a bit for advice along with others but this is a bit out on our own now.

Comment

Originally posted by mdg View Post
                      I'm a bit put out by Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham. Maybe someone on this thread has some good ideas for me

Received the HMRC letter. Put in a quick response as ours was up to the wall. The general initial letter for appeal.

Have since tried Contractor Helpdesk / Cobham M twice and they are refusing to act on our behalf now because they didn't lodge the appeal.

I'm a bit upset about this and not sure about how to handle the next steps. I don't mind paying a bit for advice along with others but this is a bit out on our own now.
                      I have had similar, I was initially very panicked and not very reassured by the response I was getting from them so went through an accountant, I was hoping to use cobham at a later stage if needed but they have now refused to help!

Comment

Working...
                      X