• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking legal action against Accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking legal action against Accountant

Has anyone taken legal action against their accountant in respect of the LC/DR scams?

Can anyone recommend a solicitor who understands this domain?

Last edited by SapphireStooge; 13 April 2023, 12:03.

If the accountant is a member of a professional body like ICAEW for example, it might be worth investigating their policy on complaints against members. Though I have to say my own experience (not with an accountant I might add) is that unless it's something clear cut and serious*, the professional body won't take a lot of notice of you. But at least it won't cost you anything to try.

* Upton style, for example.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

What is the basis of the complaint? Did they recommend a scheme to you that resulted in the LC being applied?

Comment

One Scheme recommend an accountant, with the understanding that they understood the scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by NickLeeson2 View Post
          One Scheme recommend an accountant, with the understanding that they understood the scheme.
          If an individual selected a scheme, and someone from that scheme recommended an accountant, and that person then chose to use that accountant, then I can't see how anyone could have a claim against that accountant. It was their choice of both scheme and accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If an individual selected a scheme, and someone from that scheme recommended an accountant, and that person then chose to use that accountant, then I can't see how anyone could have a claim against that accountant. It was their choice of both scheme and accountant.
            This is probably the answer but still I get it's frustrating. To pay a professional who you should be able to trust to be sold a pile of crap that could you ruin your life it's fair to feel they are partially responsible. You could argue they've failed in their professional duty but proving it legally isn't likely to work.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This is probably the answer but still I get it's frustrating. To pay a professional who you should be able to trust to be sold a pile of crap that could you ruin your life it's fair to feel they are partially responsible. You could argue they've failed in their professional duty but proving it legally isn't likely to work.
              Fully agree but even if someone is recommended a dodgy scheme by an accountant, claiming against that accountant for bad advice will still be extremely difficult - you can pretty much guarantee they will have covered themselves with their T&Cs. Choosing the scheme in the first place reduces that chance to close to zero IMO.

Comment

Be very clear on what you want to achieve from any legal action. Legal fees can quickly accumulate into the thousands.

If you're seeking damages or compensation then maybe doing an online search for any legal precedents might help before you engage a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireStooge
                  • Do you know if this has been tested?
                  • Or is this based on professional experience/advice?

Please don't misinterpret as rudeness - but it's vital to try clarify if this is hearsay or established.

That is certainly the sentiment I see expressed on the forums, but I've received Professional opinions which disagree.
                  Are those people taking your case on a no win no fee basis or are they asking for a significant amount of money upfront.

Heck even the no win no fee people are often willing to take on cases that (to me) had zero chance - see for example UmbrellaReclain because they hoped to get a settlement to disappear.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireStooge
                    • Do you know if this has been tested?
                    • Or is this based on professional experience/advice?

Please don't misinterpret as rudeness - but it's vital to try clarify if this is hearsay or established.

That is certainly the sentiment I see expressed on the forums, but I've received Professional opinions which disagree.
                    No rudeness taken - I've no specific experience/advice here other than knowing how these things tend to work and the people who peddle them are very good at covering their backs.

You still haven't said on what basis any claim against an accountant would be with regards to LC/DR. ie. Did they recommend a dodgy scheme (in which case the words they used, and you can prove they used, will be very important), or did they fail to recognise it was a dodgy scheme?

Comment

Working...
                    X