• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

S684 Letters from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

My one comment regarding advisors is that given how HMRC works if you need to talk or deal with HMRC using someone with experience in dealing with HMRC makes sense even if you wish to settle because merely accidently saying something the wrong way can provide HMRC with whole new areas to seek money from you.

So while I get your viewpoint for many people (as you will have witnessed in virtually every thread in this forum) the last thing many people should be doing is talking to HMRC directly.
    It was more the ones offering to fight HMRC, holding out the hope of not paying the tax, that I was referring to. I've not seen a single case (thus far) where that has worked out well (for the taxpayer, that is!).
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

It was more the ones offering to fight HMRC, holding out the hope of not paying the tax, that I was referring to. I've not seen a single case (thus far) where that has worked out well (for the taxpayer, that is!).
      Nor are you ever likely to, IMO. The tax avoidance and related schemes are the gift that keeps giving. For everyone except the users.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yep the courts are very clear and blunt.

We will extend the case law every possible way we can to ensure HMRC win.

So, it's heads HMRC win, tails you lose.
        Last edited by eek; 15 November 2022, 16:44.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well, taxes do pay Judges' wages, and most Judges have barely had a pay increase in years.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep the courts are very clear and blunt.

We will extend the case law every possible way we can to ensure HMRC win.

So, it's heads HMRC win, tails you lose.
            Depressingly true!

Comment

Personally, I am somewhat dubious about all these advisors, lawyers etc. It all has a feel of ambulance chasing, preying on desperate folk. I hope people aren't paying too much money to them because that could be just throwing good money after bad. I also hope people aren't being peddled false hope.

I'll fall off my chair if anything good comes of these group/class actions. That's if I haven't already fallen off my perch by the time they reach the very end.
              I remember WTT annoncing on this forum on the day that Felicitas started sending out the dodgy demand letters that WTT were creating a variation of Big Group with a seperate fee structure, initial fee and ongoing maitenance costs to deal with the demands. Even though it was clearly a lame attempt to extort further money by Fecili-tosh, the advisors and lawyers continued their charade. To Etc-Taxs credit, they did some pro-bono work, but then started directing their clients towards Elyseum Law (run by Richard Gray, who is mates with Etc tax's Andy Woods).

I had the sense to never take the Felicitas demands seriously right from the beginning, and I ran this past my solicitor. There will have been so many who will have paid (and maybe still paying) WTT, or Richard Gray at Elyseum et al, I know some myself. I paid zero in accountant or solicitor fees and am no worse off. They prop up their strawmen and then push them over and tell their clients that they have just done the job that they were paid to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

I remember WTT annoncing on this forum on the day that Felicitas started sending out the dodgy demand letters that WTT were creating a variation of Big Group with a seperate fee structure, initial fee and ongoing maitenance costs to deal with the demands. Even though it was clearly a lame attempt to extort further money by Fecili-tosh, the advisors and lawyers continued their charade. To Etc-Taxs credit, they did some pro-bono work, but then started directing their clients towards Elyseum Law (run by Richard Gray, who is mates with Etc tax's Andy Woods).

I had the sense to never take the Felicitas demands seriously right from the beginning, and I ran this past my solicitor. There will have been so many who will have paid (and maybe still paying) WTT, or Richard Gray at Elyseum et al, I know some myself. I paid zero in accountant or solicitor fees and am no worse off. They prop up their strawmen and then push them over and tell their clients that they have just done the job that they were paid to do.
                There was a lot of scaremongering on this forum at the time, which no doubt sent many people running to advisors or acceding to the repayment demands.

As someone above said, these loan schemes have been the gift which keeps on giving.

I hate to think how many £millions have been plundered over the years in:

1) fees collected by the original scheme providers
                2) fees paid to advisors and lawyers to challenge APNs
                3) fees for dodgy scams to try and circumvent the loan charge
                4) money paid to scam artists (Felicitas, FS et al) in supposed loan repayments
                5) fees paid to advisors to fend off said scam artists
                6) fees paid to advisors and lawyers (Big Group et al) to challenge the underlying tax on loans

And it ain't done yet.

Comment

There was a lot of scaremongering on this forum at the time, which no doubt sent many people running to advisors or acceding to the repayment demands.

As someone above said, these loan schemes have been the gift which keeps on giving.

I hate to think how many £millions have been plundered over the years in:

1) fees collected by the original scheme providers
                  2) fees paid to advisors and lawyers to challenge APNs
                  3) fees for dodgy scams to try and circumvent the loan charge
                  4) money paid to scam artists (Felicitas, FS et al) in supposed loan repayments
                  5) fees paid to advisors to fend off said scam artists
                  6) fees paid to advisors and lawyers (Big Group et al) to challenge the underlying tax on loans

And it ain't done yet.
                  Exactly.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Oh yes.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

Your memory is rather wrong there Felicitas really kicked off last year and Webberg and Big Group first appeared in 2015.

Personally charging a small amount of money for peace of mind doesn't seem a bad deal and remember that once WTT started doing so everyone else rapidly followed.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X