• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoey case lost in the Court of Appeal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoey case lost in the Court of Appeal

https://www.step.org/industry-news/e...neration-loans

I wonder how long it will be before many others find themselves on the receiving end of HMRC's new 'weapon' of disapplying the PAYE regs? I imagine quite a lot of contractor schemes would be vulnerable to this line of attack?

Maybe this forum is about to get busy again...

Bankruptcy follows for Hoey?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Bankruptcy follows for Hoey?
      Quite possibly.

Hands up who is surprised by this verdict?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The other cases still in the pipeline (NTRT, WTT) can't have many avenues left to go after this.

The fact that the Court of Appeal has ruled that HMRC's discretion to disapply the PAYE regs (s684) can only be challenged through a JR (not at tribunals) puts a bit of a kibosh on things.

There's further background on s684 here, including HMRC's responses to questions from the CIOT.
        https://www.taxadvisermagazine.com/a...nd-higgs-cases
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Quite possibly.

(Hands in pockets).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Quite possibly.

With 'Justice' Simler involved? Was only ever going to go one way. Onward to the Supreme Court, hopefully.

Comment

Imagine that, a Crown Court favouring a prosecution by the Crown. For those who thought the 'next big thing' (the MSCP cases) were going to be a walk in the park.... here is your reality right here.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
                Imagine that, a Crown Court favouring a prosecution by the Crown. For those who thought the 'next big thing' (the MSCP cases) were going to be a walk in the park.... here is your reality right here.
                And, as you've sadly discovered, someone else losing a court case doesn't just impact them. It invariably hands HMRC a weapon to fire (indiscriminately) at others.

Costelloe → CK & Boox
                Hoey → <watch this space>

Comment

Yes, won on the basis of what some HMRC secret internal manuals say and 5 to 1 on QCs. Joke of a system. But the judge I think was ex-HMRC and I don't think she has ever found for anyone but HMRc. Again. It's a joke.

Hopefully the appeal will be allowed and some less blinkered judge will find otherwise. Would be a nice counter balance to the RFC case.

One does wonder what some other big groups are actually up to and if they do have some magical analysis to kick down HMRC's doors. Will we ever find out?

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    One does wonder what some other big groups are actually up to and if they do have some magical analysis to kick down HMRC's doors.
                    I think it would be a first. In the past decade or more, I can't recall a single case involving an avoidance scheme where the users have won.

The 'PAYE argument', advanced by Higgs/Hoey/NTRT, was a valid one but HMRC could never allow this to succeed. So I'm not surprised they put a team of 5 QCs on the case.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                    X