• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

And if CK don’t satisfy HMRC you will have a very hard job convincing them you weren’t a MSC.
    Well not totally as there is the tribunal for the MSCs which is the route HMRC are taking.

If CK fail to convince HMRC, which they have failed so far (or more HMRC are determined to take the MSC's to court) more like.

Then the Tribunal begins as planned.

If the tribunal fails to convince the court we are not MSCs then it becomes very very tough as then the next cases face written law, but at that point still worth fighting on as there is then zero to lose.

Comment

A while back someone asked if the CBS case was being appealed. They tried but weren't granted permission.

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/sme-tax...mpany-provider

"UPDATE: Leave for appeal to the Supreme Court was denied in December 2019 making the Court of Appeal decision the final decision."

---------------------

Oh, and they did have top legal representation at the Court of Appeal: Giles Goodfellow, Q.C. and Ben Elliott (instructed by Mazars LLP, accountants)

It must have cost them a pretty packet paying their own legal bill and HMRC's costs on top.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        A while back someone asked if the CBS case was being appealed. They tried but weren't granted permission.

"UPDATE: Leave for appeal to the Supreme Court was denied in December 2019 making the Court of Appeal decision the final decision."

---------------------

Oh, and they did have top legal representation at the Court of Appeal: Giles Goodfellow, Q.C. and Ben Elliott (instructed by Mazars LLP, accountants)

It must have cost them a pretty packet paying their own legal bill and HMRC's costs on top.
        Rumpole of the Bailey couldn't have won that case!

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

---------------------

Unwinnable case, legal team should be ashamed for taking it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

Unwinnable case, legal team should be ashamed for taking it on.
            Winners? Always? Lawyers...

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

Winners? Always? Lawyers...
              Exactly. There's no case lawyers don't win from.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I just dumped my accountant for a three man band a mile from my house. I suggest you all do the same (although maybe pick your own).

Comment

I moved to Gorilla Accounting, some people recommended them in this thread. Gorilla seem to think they would not be deemed MSCP but who knows at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                    I just dumped my accountant for a three man band a mile from my house. I suggest you all do the same (although maybe pick your own).
                    It's the future........

(Garlic bread?)
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

It's the future........

(Garlic bread?)
                      TBH If I were offered an 'outside' gig now I would still use a brolly. My old Ltd company is closed and I won't be opening up a new one. Simply not worth the risk any more. This MSC scandal is a total and utter disgrace and HMRC should be hanging its head in shame. Its worthy of going on Panaroma. Basically, they can massage so-called law any way they deem fit in order to get their money and make many honest people's lives a misery for years. Their scare tactics have beaten me but it's still absolutely shocking. I would imagine many online accountants will close because of this and we will be in the land of using our own spreadsheets all over again. So much for innovation.

Comment

Working...
                      X