• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the thread. Wow.

I will go against the grain a little and say I think using free agent at this point is not the best advice.

If you are small just stick to a basic spreadsheet and basic accountancy services.

All of us piling into a single thing like free agent has never ended well and it won't end well this time either.

A few years of going back to basics is what I would advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
      I read the thread. Wow.

I will go against the grain a little and say I think using free agent at this point is not the best advice.

If you are small just stick to a basic spreadsheet and basic accountancy services.

All of us piling into a single thing like free agent has never ended well and it won't end well this time either.

Freeagent = Sage and there is zero chance that HMRC is going to claim that Freeagent (owned by RBS) is an MSC provider
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've just tried to claim IPSE benefits on this matter as a plus member. They claim that they will not be able to provide benefits as they believe it is Churchill Knight whom are being investigated and not the individuals in question. Not pleased at all with their evasiveness.

I certainly see this as an investigation on individuals, especially as moneys demanded are addressed to individuals directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Remember, if a company has been stuck off, it has no assets because it doesn't exist any more.
          Yep. Fair point. I just cant understand the recreation of the companies unless it is a required step for debt transfer somehow. Some arcane bit of procedure perhaps.

Comment

I read the thread. Wow.

These days, FreeAgent (and its competitors) is the basics. There is absolutely zero chance of a FA user who engages an accountant on an ad-hoc basis being an MSC.

Despite the general near hysteria in some posts, I do believe THEPUMA has it right. A vanilla book keeping relationship is not going to be found as an MSC. Unfortunately, it's going to be some years before the case is concluded and some folks will needlessly suffer. But in the end, I don't think the actual legislation stretches as far as Hector would like.

Unfortunately, the unfolding situation seems to be already attracting some gold diggers. Inevitable I suppose, given that contractor tax issues seem to be the gift that keeps on giving.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I read the thread. Wow.

Making tax digital requires the use of software to submit VAT returns. This applies from this month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...igital-for-vat
              Last edited by Chevalier; 2 April 2022, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by isaaaaaaaaccc View Post
                I've just tried to claim IPSE benefits on this matter as a plus member. They claim that they will not be able to provide benefits as they believe it is Churchill Knight whom are being investigated and not the individuals in question. Not pleased at all with their evasiveness.

I certainly see this as an investigation on individuals, especially as moneys demanded are addressed to individuals directly.
                It is CK who are being investigated (Boox too) at this stage, this is the biggest head scratch/injustice we all feel. This tarring with the same brush which is going on right now if we individually get our day in court/appeal most of us have enough evidence to prove all CK did was book-keeping/vanilla accountancy, then IPSE may be able to help you. The battle will be tough if CK lose though.

The transfer of debt is why the monies demanded have been sent to the individuals. It goes to your company first and then to you.

Let's stop kidding ourselves here anymore, this is a stealth IR35 raid nothing more. It is always going to end up in our lap sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Unfortunately, the unfolding situation seems to be already attracting some gold diggers. Inevitable I suppose, given that contractor tax issues seem to be the gift that keeps on giving.
                  Agreed and I really can't see (at the moment) how a class/group action can as part of a group can help at this stage or even after the case against CK is proven.

The appeals letter will be of value but CK have provided a perfectly good template for free.

Maybe I'm missing something but IF CK get found guilty we will have to then prove individually we were NOT MSC's after all, and not sure how us all lumped together would work for this particular charge, this is different to the tax avoidance days when many of us were in with the same provider with the same scheme.

Comment

I would like to point out that HMRC getting access to freeagent is a risk you run and it won't be zero, the bigger risk is that freeagent is too large a honey pot not to get compromised at some stage. It's a case of when.

Comment

Originally posted by isaaaaaaaaccc View Post

You sound surprised by that?
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X