• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m currently with a very large online based accountant called Workwell, previously called JSA. I enter all my details using an online FreeAgent portal provided via the accountancy. I select my own salary and use the accounting software to determine how much I may want to pay as dividends from available funds. Only service they provide is to file paperwork and ask me how much salary I want to take so they can setup the RTI side of things. Does the hive mind think it would be advisable to drop my accountant and go for a semi DIY approach and high street accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by coxy View Post
      I’m currently with a very large online based accountant called Workwell, previously called JSA. I enter all my details using an online FreeAgent portal provided via the accountancy. I select my own salary and use the accounting software to determine how much I may want to pay as dividends from available funds. Only service they provide is to file paperwork and ask me how much salary I want to take so they can setup the RTI side of things. Does the hive mind think it would be advisable to drop my accountant and go for a semi DIY approach and high street accountant?
      My personal viewpoint is that it’s the initial setup that is all important here,

However, workwell are very expensive so you could save a fortune by doing slightly more yourself and getting a local accountant to do the rest. Especially if you use a mettle / NatWest / rbs bank account at which point your free agent account is free.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Interesting....

There's a slight irony here, certainly from CK's portal/clients and continues to confirm my theory as to why this has happened. Your portal seems way more guilty than CK's!

CK's portal never did any of that, the only way you had of knowing how much available you had was from your own spreadsheets/bank statements, how much you paid your employees was again defined, not by a portal, but your own budget/profits of your company.

CK did VAT returns and end of year returns as an accountant/book-keeper

If your portal helps you out that much don't be surprised when HMRC come calling for that particular accountancy firm.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

My personal viewpoint is that it’s the initial setup that is all important here,

However, workwell are very expensive so you could save a fortune by doing slightly more yourself and getting a local accountant to do the rest. Especially if you use a mettle / NatWest / rbs bank account at which point your free agent account is free.
          The portal is FreeAgent, its a standard accountancy package, not bespoke. The amount available after liabilities is shown as the “carried forward/available for distribution” figure. Something all accounting packages will tell you.

Comment

The portal is FreeAgent, its a standard accountancy package, not bespoke. The amount available after liabilities is shown as the “carried forward/available for distribution” figure. Something all accounting packages will tell you.
            Except CK's portal....

Beggars belief that software/portal is allowed on the DIY versions of accounting but it's one of the main charges in the case.

The fees are the thing in this case on which it fails or wins by, always have been always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

Except CK's portal....

Beggars belief that software/portal is allowed on the DIY versions of accounting but it's one of the main charges in the case.

The fees are the thing in this case on which it fails or wins by, always have been always will be.
              Fees as in variable fees related to income of the limited company?

Comment

Fees as in variable fees related to income of the limited company?
                Yip.

Which they never did but they do offer a dormant/inactive fee so one could argue that fee is higher or lower dependent on the income of the LTD...

It's tenuous at best and outrageous at worst. Hasn't stopped them going for it though

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  It was always on the cards, nobody should be surprised. Those of us who have been around the block a few times will remember the composite company providers who overnight became accountancy practises. The only thing that surprises me is how long it's taken to happen.
                  I am one of CK's client's who have been affected by MSC investigation. I was wondering why HMRC picked up CK out of vast list of accountancy services company. Could you please let me know what a composite company is? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Anvipa View Post

I am one of CK's client's who have been affected by MSC investigation. I was wondering why HMRC picked up CK out of vast list of accountancy services company. Could you please let me know what a composite company is? Thank you
                    It's the pre-legislation name for Managed Service Companies. Composite Company Providers (such as Brookson, for example) if they exist today are called MSCPs. To the best of my knowledge all composite company providers became accountants when the MSC legislation came into effect. It was something that many of us supported at the time since composite company use really was taking the pi55 out of incorporated businesses.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 31 October 2022, 12:21.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvipa View Post

Wondering why is what we all did, but some of the obvious answers would be; Landmark case, 1000s of clients, FCSA registered etc., so if HMRC think they can prove a company like CK then it will simply open up every accountant or accountancy service out there. Basically they've gone for a big fish from the get go.

However, I maintain the campaign is speculative on it's chances of winning but 100% guaranteed to have sent 100s and 100s of LTD (PSCs) away from LTD models and into PAYE/Brollies. If HMRC should lose it's still a great job well done.

Comment

Working...
                      X