• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're coming...

Not that any of us are surprised.

So despite all the rhetoric the stances the fighting talk by CK, the experts etc., the next set of determination letters are being sent out as expected in the next few months, which will be the PAYE and the NIC contributions for 18/19 and 19/20. Happy Christmas to all of those still involved in this.
    Last edited by GregRickshaw; 24 October 2022, 15:04.

Comment

Also it appears HMRC have lined up the cases for the tribunal. CK words are 'they appear determined to get this tested at tribunal'

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
        Also it appears HMRC have lined up the cases for the tribunal. CK words are 'they appear determined to get this tested at tribunal'
        Of course, they are. HMRC have looked at the options and picked the weakest firms to test against (which was sadly CK and Boox)
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Of course, they are. HMRC have looked at the options and picked the weakest firms to test against (which was sadly CK and Boox)
          Not sure about the weakest but certainly landmark cases, and (as I've said many times) enough to scare 1000s of contractors back to the arms of PAYE and brollies.

Comment

Not sure about the weakest but certainly landmark cases, and (as I've said many times) enough to scare 1000s of contractors back to the arms of PAYE and brollies.
            Big enough to scare other accountants - but not big enough to have legal representation as soon as HMRC started staring at them (which I'm sure is why CK is involved and not one of the other firms with similar marketing schemes).

Comment

And I’m afraid that a classic HMRC ploy is to send out letter a couple of days before Christmas.

So to anyone reading this, be aware and don’t let it upset your holiday.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Big enough to scare other accountants - but not big enough to have legal representation as soon as HMRC started staring at them (which I'm sure is why CK is involved and not one of the other firms with similar marketing schemes).
                Possibly I can believe that. Stable door bolted and all that....

And being part of FCSA meant nothing then really, CK not even protected or represented by a body. Makes one wonder just what being FCSA registered is even worth.

Comment

Any idea how the CK/Boox guys are going to be represented? Is it known yet whether there will be just one FTTT covering both firms, or separate hearings?

I would expect HMRC to use big gun tax QCs. It would probably cost at least £200k to match their fire power.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Any idea how the CK/Boox guys are going to be represented? Is it known yet whether there will be just one FTTT covering both firms, or separate hearings?

I would expect HMRC to use big gun tax QCs. It would probably cost at least £200k to match their fire power.
                    I would expect separate as the two cases have different reasons for why HMRC are interested - plus it allows them to try a variant if one case fell apart. Remember the devil is in the detail here and that detail may be a single word or badly phrased sentence.

Comment

No one knows, I suspect the 'experts' will be crowd funding from their clients to support their cases. I really have no idea what happens if no one from the 'experts' client base is selected what happens then.

It has been clear from the start CK (no idea about Boox but probably the same) won't/can't provide any financial support or brief a barrister for risk of further accusations of being involved.

As eek quite rightly says, both firms are slightly different captures (same points but different wording).

Do Hector try to crack the toughest nut first (CK) IMO. CK had/have nothing like the automation Boox showed (there is a fairly damning YT video) but Boox are CA, CK are not.

As always who knows other than Hector

I doubt they have decided yet, they are still busy scooping up the money PoA to fund the extra manpower... (maybe).
                      Last edited by GregRickshaw; 25 October 2022, 08:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X