• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoey - Court of Appeal legal fees GoFundMe contributions have now been refunded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoey - Court of Appeal legal fees GoFundMe contributions have now been refunded

GoFundMe contributions have now been refunded

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2834721

All contributions via GoFundMe were refunded, I assume as per terms and conditions.

A lot of people tried to throw mud around on the original thread, making accusations and parallel assumptions to another appeal by someone else which resulted in loss of donations.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...egal-fees.html

I hope all pre-2010 victims feel more comfortable donating to this case again to defend against HMRC going after pre Dec 2010 APNs and open enquiries. The fact remains ;

Contribute towards Hoye's legal costs and release yourself from DR pre-2010 liabilities

I hope those whose decision was affected by the baseless & false accusations now feel more comfortable to donate towards this important legal case

What is the current state of play in the Hoey case? Still waiting for a decision from the Upper Tribunal?
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      What is the current state of play in the Hoey case? Still waiting for a decision from the Upper Tribunal?
      Still awaiting, However the best is to tweet @ArmadilloSupprt on Twitter and ask Matt for confirmation.

Comment

The fact we have now got to April and no judgement has been published actually tells me the opposite - you were asking for money too early while attacking the only people on this forum that were actually helping people.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The fact we have now got to April and no judgement has been published actually tells me the opposite - you were asking for money too early while attacking the only people on this forum that were actually helping people.
          Nonsense on all counts. It's just gofundme rules nothing more. The time taken for court judgements is hard to ascertain but the 28 days between verdict and appeal unfortunately is fixed. Since the ruling was hoped for/expected before Xmas they had to take best guess.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ArmadilloSupprt/...404815360?s=20

Comment

Yeah, seems to be a bit of a stalemate. Wonder if either side will appeal or whether it will be called quits. I know HMRC will want to but if they do and Hoey don't what is left standing on the ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post

Yeah, seems to be a bit of a stalemate. Wonder if either side will appeal or whether it will be called quits. I know HMRC will want to but if they do and Hoey don't what is left standing on the ruling.
                The way I read it, unless Hoey finds something in the UTT decision to appeal then the PAYE issues can only be decided by the County Court. That would require HMRC to attempt collection of a supposed tax liability from Hoey that the UTT has said is not due.

Given that HMRC are playing with taxpayers money rather than their own and have a history of ignoring inconvenient rulings, parliament and anything else standing in their way, I fully expect them to try to collect.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSurfing View Post

The way I read it, unless Hoey finds something in the UTT decision to appeal then the PAYE issues can only be decided by the County Court. That would require HMRC to attempt collection of a supposed tax liability from Hoey that the UTT has said is not due.

Given that HMRC are playing with taxpayers money rather than their own and have a history of ignoring inconvenient rulings, parliament and anything else standing in their way, I fully expect them to try to collect.
                  I agree with that but to add further, I think that for those with pre December 9th 2010 tax years and out of scope of the Loan Charge, HMRC will have great difficulty in collecting tax from those with offshore employers with regard to ToAA under s684(7A)(b) of ITEPA 2003.

The UTT ruled that the existence of a PAYE credit (tax liability falling on employer rather than employee as in Rangers case) cannot be considered at Tribunal but must be saved up until HMRC start collection proceedings in the Count Court. However, the UTT has ruled that s684(7A)(b) can only be applied prospectively and have removed the retrospective effect from HMRC. In essence, the UTT have directed which way the County Court should judge.

It seems to me also that HMRC's Discovery Assessments have gone to the wrong person (employee and not employer) at the wrong time.

For those subject to the Loan Charge, not a lot changes in my opinion. Happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood or misinterpreted the ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSurfing View Post

Of course another option would be for HMRC to con MPs again and get them to vote through some emergency legislation that unravels the conflict the UTT has now created.

Comment

Working...
                    X