• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BG - WebberG farewell. Right to reply.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG - WebberG farewell. Right to reply.

Some clients have begun questioning the approach taken by BG and what they have received for their fees. This led to a long farewell here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-farewell.html.

Readers can make up their own minds as to whether it is sufficient to address concerns that clients do not understand the arguments being pursued, how they are affected by Hoey or when, or indeed if, a case will every be brought before the FTT.

The farewell statement contains a number of points that could be misleading and should therefore be corrected so that readers can understand the position fully.

I hope that these points will be allowed. It seems that open criticism (for example calling me a scammer) is fair game for some but criticism of others quickly sees threads shut. Even if not comments are allowed below this thread I would ask that the following points of reply be permitted.

1. "This time around, we contacted the law firm last Friday and as the main person there was busy in Court that day, suggested that he call us when free. We have had no call. We’re not sure what to read into that."

An email sent by WebberG at 17:53 on 26/11/20. He tried to recall that email but couldn't because it had already been opened by the recipient.

RPC, the solicitors to whom it was sent, replied at 21:15 that same evening having received instruction that they were authorised to discuss the case & funding requirements. I have seen both emails.

RPC tell me that they have called WebberG and are waiting for him to get back to them with a time/date for a call.

2. "Our clients remain fully briefed of our arguments through provision of several technical papers, countless webinars and ongoing updates. To suggest they don’t know what they’re paying for does them a disservice".

It is clients (see other threads) that have made that "suggestion".

3. "In seeking that resolution we have made repeated calls for those involved in the advisory side, to come together and combine forces. Every one of those calls has been unsuccessful. This is unfortunate as perhaps if we were aware of the arguments on Hoey – before appearing in Tribunal – and had had an opportunity to have some input, we may have a better idea now of whether that case deserves support".

Last summer all three Counsel involved in the three cases that have since been decided in FTT exchanged skeleton arguments. Hoey, Higgs & Lancashire shared their respective arguments so as to give all parties the best possible "ammunition".

Only one party did not take part in that show & tell.

4. Confidentiality has repeatedly been cited as the reason for arguments not being shared (if not publicly or with clients then with instructed solicitors or Counsel). Some have said here and elsewhere that it is to keep those arguments from HMRC. But WebberG states that they have already had to reveal those arguments to persuade the FTT not to automatically stay their case behind Hoey.

That statement also shows that HMRC argue strongly that Hoey WILL bind BG/WTT.

5. "Tax “experts” in this space have been proven wrong before and may well be again. If you choose to believe one view over another, then do so with knowledge, research and some due diligence".

On this we are in absolute agreement. Indeed that is all that those now questioning BG call for. The information necessary to properly evaluate the views upon which so many have staked ££££.

For my part I am more than happy to discuss, publicly, the technical issues; to exchanges views and accept that there may be differences of opinion. It is hard "to believe one view over another" if only one side sets out the details upon which theirs are based.

It shouldn't be too much to ask of everyone so that readers here can make properly informed decisions based on a cross-section of views/opinion.

I guess we'll have to wait for the WTT FTT to find out what they have up their sleeve.

I hope, for everyone's sake, that Hoey doesn't stall for lack of funding. I don't think that would be anyone's interest (other than HMRC, of course).
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Provided no defamation takes place, I will permit this.

However, I am watching this closely - I will not have this forum trashed and will take steps to stop it.

Remember - this is not the BBC...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hoey's case funding

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I hope, for everyone's sake, that Hoey doesn't stall for lack of funding. I don't think that would be anyone's interest (other than HMRC, of course).
        For the sake of the pre-2011 Open Year VICTIMS we must not lose sight of the fight currently in the court while infighting and egos are at it.

This is of direct MATERIAL BENEFIT / CONSEQUENCE to those victims with an OPEN YEAR PRE 2011. If you are in this category you will be effected, so please consider contributing to this case despite the ringside fights

Fundraiser by Stephen Hoey : Hoey - Court of Appeal legal fees

This makes a difference to you directly

Comment

I don't know webberg or WTT but..

It does appear they actually run a business around tax issues and tax in general.

The posts always seemed succinct, honest and factual.

I for one think the forum will be a lesser place without the contributions from those who make a living from knowing what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
            It does appear they actually run a business around tax issues and tax in general.

The posts always seemed succinct, honest and factual.

I for one think the forum will be a lesser place without the contributions from those who make a living from knowing what they are talking about.
            I know who Webberg is and the company he works for and how to contact them. At one point he asked me via CUK to put him in touch with the PCG team at that time. He has contributed much to the awareness and understanding of the whole set of issues around the tax avoidance arena.

I have no idea who Saleos is nor who he represents*. I've not seen any positive contributions from him (or, come to that, his supporting cohort) other than warning people to stay away from BG on the slightly specious grounds that BG are somehow defrauding their clients.

I'm not taking sides, and am a disinterested observer of the whole exercise, but driving Webberg away from CUK is not, in my view, a beneficial or desirable move.

*Of course, I am happy to be told...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I am actually trying to settle for my family and piece of mind and so I take no side nor do I have a grudge to bear. Both Saleos and WebberG are knowledgeable SMEs and have helped me gain a better understanding and so I thank them for it. The fact they disagree is fine. I didn't appreciate the mudslinging mostly contributed by others and not them.

Its a real shame that all these different advisors don't group up pool there expertise. I think the divide and conquer is exactly what HMRC want. I really do hope either one or both are successful for their clients.
              Last edited by lowpaidworker; 7 December 2020, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
                Its a real shame that all these different advisors don't group up pool there expertise.
                The same thing happened with the double tax schemes (Montpelier et al). Several different groups took their own legal action. They were urged by clients to collaborate but they didn't.

I don't know if it's a case of "not invented here" or "I know best". Certainly in the Montpelier case, egos definitely played a part.

Shame really.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  The same thing happened with the double tax schemes (Montpelier et al). Several different groups took their own legal action. They were urged by clients to collaborate but they didn't.

I don't know if it's a case of "not invented here" or "I know best". Certainly in the Montpelier case, egos definitely played a part.

Shame really.
                  The door is very much open on "our " side (Hoey). There has been collaboration between all other parties involved in litigation (Hoey, Higgs & Lancashire).

Comment

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
                    The door is very much open on "our " side (Hoey). There has been collaboration between all other parties involved in litigation (Hoey, Higgs & Lancashire).
                    I hadn't realised that.

If I was a BG member, I'd be puzzled as to why WTT isn't a part of this.

Comment

Working...
                    X