• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Scheme Enquiries: Network One

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nervousguy View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have have come home today to the dreaded brown envelope. I will provide some background on my situation and would appreciate any help or advice.

I had contracted between 2007-2013 to one client company using Network One and from year to year had been moved on to 'other' companies to facilitate my payroll (by Net One) lastly with Quantum.

Foolishly I thought all was above board and legal. Prior to 2007 I had not contracted and since leaving the client company stopped contracting.

Today I have opened a letter from HMRC stating I have been part of a tax avoidance scheme and owe unpaid tax for year 2011-2012. The letter states this is their assessment. To say I am nervous is an understatement and I am completely shocked.

I am unsure what my next steps should be and would appreciate some guidance and advice.

A couple of questions I have:

1. Can HMRC look back beyond 2011-2012? If so, how far back? I just need to understand the true cost of this. On the FAQ they say they can look at 'other' years but some years may be out of date.

2. Is it worth me appealing?

Many Thanks in advance.

NG
    No, its not worth appealing or is it? , you need to send the returns in ASAP to stop the fines. I am in the same position. Its unfair, that's life . I know, Its strange that the HMRC only picking up on this now . I have never received a warning prior to 2017. But I've moved addresses a few times.Check your pay checks. They were untaxed. basic ignorance of the law is not an excuse . I am having to cop the fines and pay for an accountant. It's all very confusing.

Comment

I repeat that there is a group of Network One users who have joined forces to help with exactly the sort of situation described here.

PM me and I'll send contact details.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        I repeat that there is a group of Network One users who have joined forces to help with exactly the sort of situation described here.

PM me and I'll send contact details.
        This is far better than paying an accountant.

Comment

Yvonne hefer

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          Er...not saying it didn't happen or anything, but "I spoke to HMRC and..." isn't exactly the most objective or trustworthy source for anything..
          She is another Director fled to Pretoria - South Africa. Oscar Pistorius's neighbour probably

Comment

Originally posted by GemmaC View Post
            Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring as well. Got the demand this week for 2011-12 period. £40k - zoiks!

This was the first correspondence from HMRC re the 2011-12 tax year however they did open an inquiry end of 2015 demanding all documentation relating to my 2013-14 tax year (also with Network One/Quantum). I think they got it in just before the end of this tax year otherwise they can't open the investigation (4 years rule or something).

I presume HMRC just added up the loans/advances figure for that tax year and are whacking me with the tax bill based on those figures. There is always the possibility that I paid those loans back though, right??

Assuming they do the same for the following years I could be looking at quite a big number so I'm hoping Network One have a suitable response.

TBF they were pretty quick to respond after the 2015 inquiry but give that Quantum no longer exist I have a feeling they might just shrug this one off. Their response back to the 2013-14 inquiry regarding my period of employment with Quantum was "maybe just try telling them that Quantum are no longer trading"!

Endeavour provided some decent responses (and I suspect Mr Endeavour and Mr Quantum may just be the same person) but the thing is, there is no request for information here. Just a demand for tax.

I'll try Network One but I suspect that will be fruitless. Then I might just state that all loans were paid back after my employment ended.

Don't have to go into details on the means by which they were paid back.

And as the company no longer exists....
            Hi GemmaC , I also think its a bit fishy and totally unfair that this is the first warning I have received in 3 years. Now I am being fined God knows how much now. If I had prior warnings I could have done something sooner . Feel free to in box me. I am new to this site. I hired an accountant to help me . that's going to us more ! POOR US!!

Comment

Originally posted by GemmaC View Post
              Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring as well. Got the demand this week for 2011-12 period. £40k - zoiks!

This was the first correspondence from HMRC re the 2011-12 tax year however they did open an inquiry end of 2015 demanding all documentation relating to my 2013-14 tax year (also with Network One/Quantum). I think they got it in just before the end of this tax year otherwise they can't open the investigation (4 years rule or something).

I presume HMRC just added up the loans/advances figure for that tax year and are whacking me with the tax bill based on those figures. There is always the possibility that I paid those loans back though, right??

Assuming they do the same for the following years I could be looking at quite a big number so I'm hoping Network One have a suitable response.

TBF they were pretty quick to respond after the 2015 inquiry but give that Quantum no longer exist I have a feeling they might just shrug this one off. Their response back to the 2013-14 inquiry regarding my period of employment with Quantum was "maybe just try telling them that Quantum are no longer trading"!

Endeavour provided some decent responses (and I suspect Mr Endeavour and Mr Quantum may just be the same person) but the thing is, there is no request for information here. Just a demand for tax.

I'll try Network One but I suspect that will be fruitless. Then I might just state that all loans were paid back after my employment ended.

Don't have to go into details on the means by which they were paid back.

And as the company no longer exists....
              Originally posted by Kezcollins View Post
              Hi GemmaC , I also think its a bit fishy and totally unfair that this is the first warning I have received in 3 years. Now I am being fined God knows how much now. If I had prior warnings I could have done something sooner . Feel free to in box me. I am new to this site. I hired an accountant to help me . that's going to us more ! POOR US!!
              You quoted a post from 2016.

Drop your accountant join BG. Even if just to settle.

Of course, you will be tempted to take another course of action. Anything you do will make matters worse.

Feel free to PM me and I will explain. My personal situation is well known on CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by flashdance
                Let's all be wary of HMRC moles on this site fishing for information.
                Says the first time poster...

Safe to say that BP isn’t a HMRC mole.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Says the first time poster...

Safe to say that BP isn’t a HMRC mole.
                  Actually it wasn't referring to BP at all as a mole, so you have assumed wrong. it was the other new posters that made me suspicious as I have been reading these forums for some years now, and only echoing what others have already said before (and did not see you make such comments..) thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by flashdance View Post
                    Actually it wasn't referring to BP at all as a mole, so you have assumed wrong. it was the other new posters that made me suspicious as I have been reading these forums for some years now, and only echoing what others have already said before (and did not see you make such comments..) thanks.
                    HMRC does trawl these threads.

Hello Hector

Comment

Still no PM - perhaps Cojak was right?
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X