• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh why not fix it Dave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    What tax would that be ? Begging tax ? car wash tax ? Child prostitute tax ? One stringed guitar busker tax ?

Or maybe 'job at less than min wage and under the tax threshold' tax ?

See any flaws in your argument ?
    Of course all Romanians are beggars, thieves or prostitutes.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 June 2014, 08:01.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

When I was working away in Switzerland I received some form of child benefit, even though my daughter was in the UK seems only fair to me if you're paying tax in a country.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        When I was working away in Switzerland I received some form of child benefit, even though my daughter was in the UK seems only fair to me if you're paying tax in a country.
        Yes, I received an additional tax free allowance for kids when I was in Germany although the kids were in the UK.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Most of those claiming child benefit are from Poland and latvia with excellent education systems.

http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211923/UK-risking-long-term-economic-gloom-graduation-rate-falls-Poland-Slovakia.html

Which sort of torpedos the argument of them all being "beggars".

I've personally never met a Polish beggar, most seem to be plumbers, craftsmen, teachers or other professionals.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

if the average wage is fairly similar and the benefits similar it is probably not very important, however with average wage in the UK being 5-7 times that of some accession countries then there will be some pull. The rules were probably put into place with UK, France, Germany in mind and no one thought about it when considerably poorer countries would join.

The point of it being a UK government decision (initially the new lie and now CMD's conalition) seems a bit pointless as none of us are MPs.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              if the average wage is fairly similar and the benefits similar it is probably not very important, however with average wage in the UK being 5-7 times that of some accession countries then there will be some pull. The rules were probably put into place with UK, France, Germany in mind and no one thought about it when considerably poorer countries would join.
              It seems to me this is fairly easily fixed by having a rate for child benefits based on where the children actually are. So UK based Poles with children in Poland get roughly the same benefits as Poles in Poland would, even if it is "paid for" by the UK. It probably wouldn't be much of a political issue if that were the case, although the Daily Mail would no doubt still try.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It seems to me this is fairly easily fixed by having a rate for child benefits based on where the children actually are. So UK based Poles with children in Poland get roughly the same benefits as Poles in Poland would, even if it is "paid for" by the UK. It probably wouldn't be much of a political issue if that were the case, although the Daily Mail would no doubt still try.
                or just making benefits subject to 2-5 years contribution in every country for non citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  or just making benefits subject to 2-5 years contribution in every country for non citizens.
                  Which in the case of child benefit means an EU immigrant is paying more UK tax than a UK citizen. If you're going to tax people from day one, why shouldn't they get benefits from day one?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Which in the case of child benefit means an EU immigrant is paying more UK tax than a UK citizen. If you're going to tax people from day one, why shouldn't they get benefits from day one?
                    no they are receiving less benefits. Despite Gordon's best efforts tax & benefits are different.

Comment

Which is weird as Bosnia and Herzegovina are not full members of the EU and is currently only a candidate. This means it must be a UK government decision to allow this
                      That's right. The full list covers many Commonwealth countries and those that are neither EU or Commonwealth. Nothing wrong with negotiating reciprocal arrangements with any country, helps tourism etc. just as long as they really are reciprocal.

Trouble is that they are not, even within, the old EU:

Brussels has threatened Spain with legal action because of 'increasing complaints' that Spanish hospitals are refusing to provide emergency healthcare to tourists from European Union countries unless they pay
                      Spain faces EU legal action over 'illegal' hospital bills for tourists - Telegraph
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X