• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, how are you spending your bench time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What is this 'bench' you all talk about? Are you all homeless?
    In Permie parlance it is the same as "Vacation"
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thats the golden ticket. Having enough saved so that you can take time and not even bother looking for another gig until you want to.

Unfortunately, I always feel I need to be looking straight away. :-(
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Thats the golden ticket. Having enough saved so that you can take time and not even bother looking for another gig until you want to.

I am over that feeling of constant guilt took a good few years though.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Its a two pronged approach, firstly don't start spending money just because your company is earning it, I still live on a "permie" lifestyle equivalent of about £30k a year, the rest is then making sure when you have a gig you maximise your earnings. I know I need to invoice for 8 months a year to be able to take 4 off with enough carried over to top up the warchest, I will have worked 15 months when this contract comes to and end so I am good for another full years salary as working so close to home there was no expenses to pay
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Its a two pronged approach, firstly don't start spending money just because your company is earning it, I still live on a "permie" lifestyle equivalent of about £30k a year, the rest is then making sure when you have a gig you maximise your earnings. I know I need to invoice for 8 months a year to be able to take 4 off with enough carried over to top up the warchest, I will have worked 15 months when this contract comes to and end so I am good for another full years salary as working so close to home there was no expenses to pay
            Good advice and can be expanded upon by choosing to invest your earnings so as to generate positive cash flow. Over time this will eventually throw off enough residual income to cover your basic outgoings - meaning that you don't have to work ever again

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Yup, I've not taken a penny over my permie salary since my first contract started 1st March (It was always short term, and I made it shorter by automating stuff) and as a result have enough from that alone to cover me for 10 weeks, though that doesn't include waiting for the next contracts cash to appear in the bank.

But, the good news is that my next contract should be finalised by tomorrow lunchtime - so a good day all round. I even managed to fix the scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Good advice and can be expanded upon by choosing to invest your earnings so as to generate positive cash flow. Over time this will eventually throw off enough residual income to cover your basic outgoings - meaning that you don't have to work ever again
                WHS x100 - Get your money earning money and you will be genuinely free to work or not.
                And when you do have a choice, it changes your whole perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  WHS x100 - Get your money earning money and you will be genuinely free to work or not.
                  And when you do have a choice, it changes your whole perspective.
                  And when you get a wife, and have kids, you're f&&ked again!

Comment

I'll let you know next Thursday when I 'expire' at 11pm

Wahoooo -

a month of sleep!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      And when you get a wife, and have kids, you're f&&ked again!
                      family means very little warchest....

Comment

Working...
                      X