• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So, how are you spending your bench time?"

Collapse

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Sell your house, buy a camper, paint it pink and spend the rest of your life sh.gging hippy chicks.

Alternatively get a Microsoft certification, whatever that means.
    Funnily enough I only sold one of those hippy campers last year. Didn't do much hippy chick shagging, though.

I'd kind of forgotten about this thread - I got an offer after a day and a half and ended up cramming loads of things to do into three days.

I've had a week in between projects since and I was good and did a cert.

I still found the whole thing strange even with work to go back to and It's going to take me a while to get a big enough war chest (that isn't really our house deposit as I've mentioned before) so I can really start enjoying my time out. Credit card paid off with my next dividend though and then I'm debt free.
    Last edited by vwdan; 3 June 2014, 20:30.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    I spent mine in Asia for 10 weeks. 10 days back in the country had an offer from one of the big 4.

Leave a comment:

• Manz
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Not looking for contracts then? Or you just got nervous?
    I just got nervous, I'll keep looking for contracts, but due to my limited experience I might have to go perm for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Manz View Post
    Sounds good, don't know why I was depressed earlier, I sent my CV for this perm role and got a call back 10 mins later and now they are putting me forward for it.
    Good god man! No wonder you're depressed. I've been off since Christmas and I'm only now bored. Hopefully have a gig soon to sort me out though.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Sounds good, don't know why I was depressed earlier, I sent my CV for this perm role and got a call back 10 mins later and now they are putting me forward for it. The good thing is, I know my CV stands out, I just need to stop worrying and take some time to do all the things I said I was going to do when I got benched.

I'm going to take this whole month off and try and enjoy it before I start looking properly.
    Not looking for contracts then? Or you just got nervous?

Leave a comment:

• Manz
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Wha?! I'm depressed by the fact that I only got 2 weeks! Last time i really enjoyed walking into town in the sunshine wearing shorts/vest & flip-flops with my macbook, and grabbing sausage & mash & a pint in the weatherspoons (the one were I live is really nice) while updating my CV & replying to agents on linkedin.
    Doing a bit of my own coding out of interest, that I'm normally too burned out to do when I'm working.

I could do that for months. 2 days?!
    Sounds good, don't know why I was depressed earlier, I sent my CV for this perm role and got a call back 10 mins later and now they are putting me forward for it. The good thing is, I know my CV stands out, I just need to stop worrying and take some time to do all the things I said I was going to do when I got benched.

I'm going to take this whole month off and try and enjoy it before I start looking properly.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Benched at the end of next week, I have just purchased a house with plant life growing through the living room floor going to have a couple of months house bashing then start looking, although i would like to do a cert of some description just not sure I will have the time for it

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I'm not going to be benched till January, I really miss summer holidays ignoring agents and just chilling

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Today is my second day on the bench and I'm already starting to feel depressed.
    I have been waiting for the expected bench time for several years now and it just refuses to happen. Oh well, maybe one day.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Wha?! I'm depressed by the fact that I only got 2 weeks! Last time i really enjoyed walking into town in the sunshine wearing shorts/vest & flip-flops with my macbook, and grabbing sausage & mash & a pint in the weatherspoons (the one were I live is really nice) while updating my CV & replying to agents on linkedin.
    Doing a bit of my own coding out of interest, that I'm normally too burned out to do when I'm working.

I could do that for months. 2 days?!

Leave a comment:

• Manz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's never really happened but I think I'd just work full-time on plan B instead of part time and since I work from home anyway this means little would be different!

Although I wouldn't mind joining a snooker club.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Benched since Thursday 24th April - created a trello* board of things "to do" and now working through it, so far have bought wood to build a garden gate, driven through lots of slow traffic to get to surrey to network, same again to get to Bucks to network, caught up with some sleep. Have corrected errors on updated CV and reposted on job sites (don't like the way technojobs does its "replace with udpated CV" feature) and applied for about 25 roles. I tried staining the wood for the garden gate but didn't finish yet as agents kept calling me on the phone about non existent gigs. Today, jobserve was not working in the morning. VAT return is now due.

Next, to complete tax return and p11d for 2013/14 so that I can prove to hector that I have already paid the money they have demanded as "immediate payment" and are charging interest and penalties for. Garden gate needs finishing and there are still a couple of dozen cards left on the trello board.

* Trello.com - this is better than a nagging (ex)wife

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Inability to manage your spending/lifestyle means very little warchest....
    Utter bollocks so FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    And when you get a wife, and have kids, you're f&&ked again!
    family means very little warchest....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X