• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ukraine Unrest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    As I understand it police firearms units worldwide are often equipped with "accurised" versions of weapons
    Not in places like Ukraine - assault rifles (AK) are standard issue, they are not very accurate but in city fighting they provide good firepower at about right distances - in real war that is, right now it's very much one sided armaments wise, but unless Yanukovich resigns I think we'll see a lot more blood shed - there are plenty of firearms in Ukraine and protestors not using them en masse.

There are actually lots of people with Ukraine with war experience in Chechnya - if it gets real ugly then police might start counting a lot of dead on their side also.
    Last edited by AtW; 20 February 2014, 15:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Not in places like Ukraine - assault rifles (AK) are standard issue, they are not very accurate but in city fighting they provide good firepower at about right distances - in real war that is, right now it's very much one sided armaments wise, but unless Yanukovich resigns I think we'll see a lot more blood shed - there are plenty of firearms in Ukraine and protestors not using them en masse.
      Those don't look like AKs in the photos you posted.

I think you're right about the bloodshed though, it sounds like the police are making a massive push to clear the square out, TV stations have been shut down and roads closed. I can't see that giong smoothly.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think you're right about the bloodshed though, it sounds like the police are making a massive push to clear the square out, TV stations have been shut down and roads closed. I can't see that giong smoothly.
        I don't think it's a magic bullet <insert rimshot> though. The SA80 our lot use is VERY accurate, yet it's not something i'd want to use to pick someone out of a crowd.

Just devil's advocate - i'm not up to speed on what's been going on.

Comment

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-kiev-fire...ns-police-934/

Couple of video's showing police and protestors both using sniper rifles.

Comment

No, I'm saying that the police are arming themselves because they have lost control of the situation and fear for their safety, and on that basis I can understand why they are doing it. It might not be right or desirable but it's hardly a surprise given that among the tens of thousand of unarmed people there are clearly a hefty minority who are happy to fight with whatever they have including firearms.

What would be better is if the police took a moral stand and simply refused to oppress the people but for some reason that seems to be unlikely to happen.
            The Police are paid to uphold the Law. Laws made by an elected, albeit, corrupt Government.

No police = mob rule.

Comment

Are you blind?

Look again -

AK of various types are standard issue in ex-Soviet states, very rarely even special forces use other kind of automatics.

Compare with wiki data -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Kiev allows police to use firearms, demands armed rioters lay down weapons ? RT News

Couple of video's showing police and protestors both using sniper rifles.
                Hunting rifle with a scope is not the same as proper sniper rifle...

Population there got some firearms on hands for sure, and now they will be used for sure.

Comment

I suspect they'll announce that they've cleared the square with very little resistance or violence.

And then we'll see amateur footage and photos of bodies piled high.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    I suspect they'll announce that they've cleared the square with very little resistance or violence.

Nah, won't work this time - protestors are prepared not just to die but also to kill in self defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Yes that seems a distinct possibility. What a ******* mess.

Bloody russians.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X