• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

L2b training - tips and discussion thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get an acceptable exercise bike for £100 or less, even ones that fold up and store in a cupboard. I was thinking of getting one when I was pre-planning a gig in London...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Dorney Lake is a good ride about...if you want to build up endurance...
      Join IPSE

Comment

That's en route this Sunday for me and vetran

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          One would hope the BHF would supply their own.
          I've been worried about my ticker for the last 6 months after getting refused a life insurance policy. Have now had a battery of tests including cat scans, ECG's etc. Conclusion is I have Sinus bradycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and a resting heart rate of between 22 and 39 BPM.

You'd think I'd be able to run a little faster for longer but alas...

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            I've been worried about my ticker for the last 6 months after getting refused a life insurance policy. Have now had a battery of tests including cat scans, ECG's etc. Conclusion is I have Sinus bradycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and a resting heart rate of between 22 and 39 BPM.

You'd think I'd be able to run a little faster for longer but alas...
            Blimey, that's slow. Mine's about 55 which I think is related to my thyroid - it's gone up from about 50 since I started the meds. But it gets to 195+ when I'm running (and averages around 185 on a run) - doc doesn't seem concerned so I'm not going to worry too much either. But I do seem unable to improve my 5K time to < 30 mins no matter how much I train (I managed 29:47 once, but haven't got near it since). Difficult to run faster when it's already at the max.

Comment

Blimey, that's slow. Mine's about 55 which I think is related to my thyroid - it's gone up from about 50 since I started the meds. But it gets to 195+ when I'm running (and averages around 185 on a run) - doc doesn't seem concerned so I'm not going to worry too much either. But I do seem unable to improve my 5K time to < 30 mins no matter how much I train (I managed 29:47 once, but haven't got near it since). Difficult to run faster when it's already at the max.
              Sounds high. I thought MHR was 220-age?

So should be 160 ish I would have though?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Have you tried fartleks and repetition sessions? I found I was doing way too many "junk miles" just plodding along at a comfortable pace which is fine for building a base but no good for running fast. Adding in fartleks and repetition sessions made a huge difference. Amazing how practicing running fast can enable you to run longer in endurance races. If you really want to improve, I found this book excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Running-.../dp/0736095500

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Have you tried fartleks and repetition sessions? I found I was doing way too many "junk miles" just plodding along at a comfortable pace which is fine for building a base but no good for running fast. Adding in fartleks and repetition sessions made a huge difference. Amazing how practicing running fast can enable you to run longer in endurance races. If you really want to improve, I found this book excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Running-.../dp/0736095500
                  Ta - I should do this - I will make it the goal for the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Sounds high. I thought MHR was 220-age?

So should be 160 ish I would have though?
                    Parkrun from 3 weeks ago. It's consistently like that when I run - I've seen it go to 198. Quite a bit slower when I cycle though - even up the hills.

Comment

Bless you, ye daft bugger.

psst, whoooosh
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X